Monday, January 9, 2012

Numazu, Shizuoka


(or, the best sushi ever)

Over the course of my holiday, I had the chance to spend some much-needed time outside of Tokyo, in the mountains of Shizuoka, near Mount Fuji. I visited a friend in a city called Numazu, which is a coastal city surrounded with the Japanese Alps and with a spectacular view of Mount Fuji, on a clear day. To be fair, I didn't get the best view of Fuji since it was cloudy, but the scenery was incredible. Numazu is also famous for its quality and freshness of fish, and I ate the very best sashimi I have ever had in my life. I once claimed that the sushi at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo was the best in the world, but Numazu's has surpassed it. I feasted on thick pieces of red tuna, salmon and octopus on a bed of rice, accompanied with green tea: perhaps the most perfectly balanced meal ever, not to mention for a fraction of the price of Tokyo's establishments.

Numazu is only a 2-hour train ride from Tokyo, and the ride is extremely cheap as well. The scenic train journey was one of the best parts of the trip, as it offers an amazing view of mountains and the ocean. Numazu is a sizeable city, but it has a small town feel reminiscent of my days in Marugame. It made me very nostalgic of my life on Shikoku island, which I now cherish so much. I'm lucky the Japanese countryside charms are only a train ride away, and I'm thankful for local friends who expertly showed me around their home.

I highly recommend taking a day trip to Shizuoka if you're in Tokyo, to breathe some mountain air, eat fresh fish, and explore the Izu peninsula

I still dream about this meal.

If you're in Numazu, hit this!
Fresh fish galore

Numazu station

Travel bags

Numazu River

View of Mt Fuji from Numazu (wishful thinking)


Numazu station

6 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

I have yet to try mind-altering sushi. I really do need to get over there.

Ring of Fire said...

This looks like such a beautiful place! And so different than Tokyo, I'm sure it was refreshing.

Miyan said...

hey sweets! thanks so much for your congratulation wish on my new engagement. :) im still adjusting to saying "im engaged" ...

that fruit salad looks delish! and that mountain is gorgeous! beautiful photos.

Miyan

Clara Turbay said...

so cool.

burnsjon said...

Was the sushi the kind where you got a bowl of rice and then picked all the fresh cuts of fish to throw in? I did that once in Aomori and it was so good!

Vivian said...

thank you thank you! yes it was mind-altering!!

jon, yes it was that kind!! best meal ever, who would have thought pieces of raw fish could get me so excited xx