Monday, December 12, 2011

Hello, Christmas time.


coffee + polaroids + naughty text messages


It's that time of year again, when I go from extremely happy to downright homesick within hours. Although I had vowed myself to not spend yet another holiday season in Nippon, circumstances such as moving to Tokyo a few months ago and changing careers make it difficult to go home for now. As much time as I spend moping and tearing up about the fact that I won't be able to enjoy all my favourite Christmas foods, the fireplace, and most importantly my family, there is nothing I can do for now and I'm trying my best to cheer up. It cannot be all that bad.

For one, spending Christmas overseas is a lot more relaxing than being back home, amongst the shopping pressure and string of mandatory parties and rushing around trying to see or please everyone. Thankfully a handful of close friends are staying in Japan this year, and my much much missed Montreal flat mate Narjis is flying from Paris to come visit me in Tokyo.

Even though I won't be with my family for now, I'll be surrounded with friends who have become my other family, and I know we'll do our best to re-create our traditions and treat ourselves to all the food we miss and just have a relaxing holiday together.

And, I'll try my very best not to cringe next time I hear a J-pop version of a Christmas carol and just sip on only-available-in-Japan beverages such as Cranberry Mocha and Toffee Nut: as Starbucks Japan exclaims here, "Let's Merry"!

That's my new motto.

3 comments:

Chongmal Cheongju said...

Nous avons Toffee Nut en Corée aussi! ^_^

Kate said...

I just found your blog. <3 My husband and I are talking about moving to Japan to teach. I can imagine that celebrating Japanese holidays is fun and novel for awhile, but then you start to miss your own culture more and more. My family has very strong Christmas traditions, and I imagine our first Christmas away from home could be alternatively thrilling and painful.

Merry Christmas to you from Colorado, USA. :)

Vivian said...

Kate- Hello, and many thanks for your comments!!! I hope you do go to Japan... honestly, all the amazing moments and adventures make up for the difficult/homesick times like Christmas. My first and second Christmas away from home were okay, but this one is too difficult. It will be okay though, I have so many friends here :) Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas to you too! I would love to visit Colorado!!