Thursday, November 3, 2011

Japan, two years.

Two years ago today, I moved to Japan.


Tokyo, November 2011.
Still loving Photo Booth.

I remember exactly how I felt on my way to the airport, saying goodbye to Montreal, knowing it would be a while before I'd come back. A bit terrified, a bit relieved, mostly excited. I remember my last meal in a Mile End diner, a cold, snowy night, difficult good byes, a mini freak out at the airport.

I also remember my first night in Nagoya, stocking up on Pocky and Lemon CC, exploring the local conbini, taking pictures of the washing machine, accidentally getting drunk with the people who would become my closest friends.

How things have changed- I came here a bit shy, a bit princess-y, a bit high-maintenance perhaps. A year in the rice fields of isolated Shikoku island and a lonely stint in Osaka really made me so independent (if only slightly quirky).

To be fair, it has been a complete riot, and I have been having so much fun. I still love love love Japan, and I'm lucky to be here, living in Tokyo, with some of my best friends.

Happy Japanniversary xo

Prince Ness and I, November 2009, Nagoya

Prince Ness and I, two years later, Tokyo

10 comments:

Fashimi said...

Happy 2 year anniversary! Wow, it's amazing how fast it goes. LOOK AT MIKE!!! Haha, he's so cute!

Vivian said...

Haha I know!! We look so young.... Mike said, "we've aged horribly!!"... but I said no... we're just jaded ;)

Natalie said...

You make me miss Asia. This is Natalie, I commented awhile ago when I was living in Seoul. Fast forward many months later: after my contract ended in Korea, I went backpacking for 6 months and am now back in Canada going to school. It was nice to catch up on your blog again though and congratulations on two years! And your new writing gig, it sounds like you have a good set-up there. I love the new blog layout as well! :)

kellina said...

Happy Japanniversary, Vivian!! xx

Vivian said...

Natalie- wow, I cannot believe it has been this long! I remember when you first went to Seoul! How was backpacking? It must be nice to be home, but yea, I know the feeling. You'll always kind of miss living in Asia, but you can come visit whenever, or live here again... thanks for reading my blog, still :) xx

thevoyageofv said...

Happy Japanniversary, VIv! I can't believe it's two years since we exchanged e-mail back and forth, trying to figure out what to do with our lives. Seems a little silly now that we've both settled down into lives we love, but it just goes to show you that it pays to take risks, right?

Natalie said...

Backpacking was an incredible experience, especially Myanmar, Nepal and India. Life is completely different now and I was reminiscing with friends this weekend about life in Asia and how it was just... easier somehow. And I miss the shopping!!!! Thanks for updating your blog so often, you are a great writer! x

Vivian said...

Vanessa- I know!! It seems like yesterday... we were exchanging emails and encouraging each other... it turned out well after all!! We both ended up where we wanted to be! I'm glad we got to share this, and continue to do so :)

Vivian said...

Natalie- your travels sound so amazing... I imagine it's hard to go back to life back home afterwards. I found it so difficult after Korea, I got so restless. But you can come back anytime, I hope you do! Thanks for your lovely comment :) xx

chicha.in said...

hiii ... Nice Post ..

For More Entertainment .. Visit ..

WWW.ChiCha.in

WWW.ChiCha.in