Friday, October 28, 2011

Big in Tokyo: Don Quijote

Now that I've been living in Japan for nearly two years, most of my surroundings don't seem as strange or curious as they used to be. Japan is definitely the place to find the most random and questionable items, but somehow it's just part of my daily world.

Don Quihote ドンキホーテ is a discount chain store that carries a wide range of products, including the aforementioned dubious items. The shop is crowded, the neon lighting is well, neon, and the jingles are blaring through the speakers over and over. It's open 24 hours, and at any given time of the day you can encounter long queues at the register and suspicious characters roaming the aisles. It's the best spot for people-watching in Shibuya, as all subcultures are represented, from the heavily made-up gyaru to pineapple-haired hosts and ubiquitous salarymen.

In one visit at the Donki (as it's known in Japan), you can stock up on everything.... seriously, every single thing you need or think you may need: laundry detergent, mascara, fake eyelashes value packs, blond wigs, gummy bears, vodka, socks, towels, perfume, sex toys, tea bottles, lunch boxes, bear costumes, hair brushes, ties, alarms clocks, fresh vegetables.

I'll take it all, please.

Please make sure to visit Donki in any sizeable Japanese city, you can kill so much time in the jungle of a shop, and find the most random items to give friends back home. And interestingly, Donki tends to close for a few hours in early morning (between 5-6am) to re-stock and clean, as Sophia and I learned one time, as we were desperately trying to stock up on eyelashes...






5 comments:

Mellie said...

Looks amazing! I would love to take a look round. The tackiness is mesmerizing!

Melanie

Suteisi ♥ said...

I loooooved Donki when I visited Tokyo 2 years ago. I stumbled upon it randomly: I was having lunch at Yoshinoya and from my seat inside the restaurant, I noticed this HUGE store on the other side of the street. I had to investigate! And of course it was a Donki :) The entrance was full of Halloween related things, costumes, decos, etc since it was October. I must have spent 2 hours in that store and could have easily bought 3 times the amount of things I purchased!

ezaneea said...

been to Don Quijote back in Niigata. Everything under one roof! :)

hoihoi51 said...

Roppongi Donki
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yOToOSaWhc

chicha.in said...

hiii ... Nice Post ..

For More Entertainment .. Visit ..

WWW.ChiCha.in

WWW.ChiCha.in