Monday, September 19, 2011

Shimokitazawa cafés: Hara Donuts

Last Sunday, while melting over my delectable cup of coffee at Bear Pond, I was staring out of the window and noticed a cute doughnut shop right across the street. I made a beeline for it as soon as I polished my macchiato, eager to try one of those little treats I had heard so much about.

Hara Donuts hail from the city of Kobe (in my beloved Kansai), and they are combining tofu and soy milk in the batter. I know this may sound like an odd mix, but it really is scrumptious, and not to mention 'healthy'. When is the last time you had a healthy doughnut??

They have an assortment of flavours, ranging from mocha to tomato, but I picked the regular one, as I was too excited to look through the different kinds. I enjoyed my doughnut while walking back to my house on a coffee buzz, and it was the end of a perfect Shimokitazawa afternoon.


3 comments:

Tsubaki said...

You must also try Choco-cro...It's a chain, and they are selling croissant with chocolate fillings...It was delicious! They also have other fillings like choco-banana.

Rosemary Brennan said...

Healthy doughnuts? I'm fascinated. And the flavors sound so interesting. I'd love to try the mocha one. The tomato, not so much, though. ;)

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Ooh, they sound good!!