Monday, September 19, 2011

Shimokitazawa cafés: Bear Pond Espresso

I had read tons of raving reviews about Bear Pond Espresso, ranking high on lists about the best coffee shops in the world.

There is so much buzz about it that I had to go check it out. It's right in my neighbourhood, and I have no idea why it took me a full month to get there... because... oh my god, oh my god. It is as delightful as its reputation. It was easily the best cup of coffee I have ever had in my life. I ordered Macchiato, and sipped it while sitting by the window, and slowly melting into some kind of coffee dreamland- yes, it was THAT good.

Bear Pond Espresso is owned by Katsu Tanaka, who lived abroad in New York City and decided to open his own shop upon returning to Japan. The shop is tiny and simply decorated with wooden accents, which I really love. Bear Pond also sells a book of gorgeous photography, which you can pick up at the Shimokitazawa shop. The shop is very tiny but it's always bustling with people coming from all corners of Tokyo- or Japan, for that matter.

Bear Pond also has another shop in Shibuya, which also is a diner: On The Corner. Check out my friend Sophia's wonderful Fashimi for some pictures of our little Wednesday night adventure.

I seriously think about that cup of coffee several times per day, longing for my next visit. It's seriously amazing.







Bear Pond Espresso
2-36-12 Kitazawa
Tokyo

Open 10:00 - 18:30, closed on Tuesday
Map

Photo credits: bear-pond.com

No comments: