Monday, September 12, 2011

Otsukimi


In Japan, there is a tradition called Otsukimi, literally meaning "moon viewing". Otsukimi happens only once per year, in the fall, and it happens to be today. I would never have known, but my Japanese roommate told me while we were talking tonight (another reason to love living with Japanese people, I feel like I am learning so much more about the culture).

For Otsukimi, Japanese grass decorations called susuki are displayed, and dangos (Japanese rice cakes) are eaten. In the modern days of Japan, I think most families don't full on celebrate those smaller traditions, but my Japanese friends told me they ate the rice cakes and definitely looked at the moon.

I stepped out on my balcony and looked at the moon for a long time tonight, it was quite stunning indeed. If you are in Japan tonight, take a look at the moon!

3 comments:

hoihoi51 said...

13夜 in my region, Yamanashi
13th moon viewing
Otsukimis are occered twice, on full moon and 13the moon.
it is said 13the moon is more beautiful.
I think the Japanese loves warpe.
see the Japanese tea cup.


http://www.jikei.asia/com/en/schoollife/event_otukimi.html

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I love how many special traditions Japan has like this, I wish the US had more.

Ring of Fire said...

McDonalds serves a Tsukimi Burger every year during the Harvest moon. I found out about Tuskimi and the Tsukimi burger when my supermarket suddenly filled up with dangos and I asked my co-workers why.