Monday, September 19, 2011

Life in Tokyo

{I still Photo Booth it}

{Oh Deborah do you recall...}


I have been living in Tokyo for a month now- oh, it flew by. Between moving into a new house, settling in, discovering a new neighbourhood, starting a completely different type of work, Isabel's visit, too many events to remember- Tokyo has been a riot. In fact, it has been a little wild... but in a very good way.

I think easing myself into life here has been such a smooth transition: I already have so many friends here, and sharing a house with roommates is a great way to keep things interesting on a social level. Despite the fact that I've been sick (and quite broke), I am the happiest I have ever been, a feeling very similar to the one I experienced when I first moved to Japan- it's quite wonderful, after a pretty rough and lonely year in Osaka.

Tokyo is like a big playground, and it's filled with interesting people, creative souls, and artistic and cultural events. It's easy to get lost in the nightlife madness because let's be honest, Tokyo never sleeps and the party never ends. However, I think I've done a pretty great job at balancing life here, between work and play and keeping a healthy lifestyle. As much as I love big nights out and walking home at sunrise, I equally love hanging out at my friends' apartments and cooking.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I were still in Montreal- I think it would be completely different, maybe just as fun, too. I already know it will be hard to leave Tokyo.

3 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Do you have to leave? Maybe it's the place for you? You never know :-)

Vivian said...

V- good point. I'd love to stay. You know, the career is going great here, but I'd only stay if I fell in love here (with an actual boy, not the country!)- which I doubt will happen, but you never know... ;)

David and Matt said...

What kind of work are you doing now? I'm curious about life in Japan after teaching English!