Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tanabata Wishes

{Bamboo wish tree}

Today marked Tanabata 七夕, a Japanese star festival held every summer on July 7th. The legend is about two lovers named Orihime and Hikoboshi, who were separated by the Milky Way, but who were allowed to see each other once a year, on July 7th. If the sky is clear on Tanabata, there is a bridge formed by birds across the Milky Way and the lovers can meet, but if it rains, the lovers cannot meet.

Today was pouring rain, so I imagine the lovers did not meet... yet I still think it's such a romantic idea. All over Japan, Tanabata is celebrated by writing wishes on small pieces of paper and hanging them on bamboo tree, and on this day people dress up in yukata 浴衣 (summer kimono).

I'm delighted at any chance I get to wear yukata, and today at work I did, and so did all my students. I love traditional Japanese holidays, I think the legends behind each celebration is so interesting, and I enjoyed making a wish... as I had nice things to wish for this year.

{Me, dressed in yukata}
{Me and Nick}

1 comment:

sonia said...

I enjoy your blog so much. I feel like I actually learn from your blog and your honesty when you write about feeling lonely and homesick.