Monday, July 25, 2011

Sleepless in Osaka, Part II

A few months ago, I came to the conclusion that I should put an expiration date on my time in Japan, and the thought deeply saddened me. I never picked an actual date or knew about life after Japan, but the sole idea of knowing my time in Japan is limited made me enjoy my life here so much more. I started going out more, strengthening friendships, traveling to Tokyo and surrounding areas, and soaking in everything summer.

Then I realized, I completely fell head over heels back in love with Japan, and reminded myself of the reasons why I came here in the first place. I also realized that I'm not quite ready to leave this place that I made my home. Maybe it's very selfish of me, but I keep thinking that it's perhaps the last time in my life I'll ever have so much freedom, and even though some moments are lonely and challenging, all the amazing times make up for it, in ways I had never imagined.

I cannot pinpoint what shifted. Maybe it's just the hot summer nights, or sleepless nights in Tokyo, or lounging on the grass at the park, or long train rides that I wish would never end. I also feel that I've been so lucky here, that everything fell right onto my lap, even though at times it was difficult to see, as I've gone through some very burdensome times since I arrived in Japan. Yet, all I can see when I look back are amazing times, and I want just a little bit more... one more bite.


{Summer dress}

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Melan said...

You're a real inspiration for someone thinking about living in Asia!

Tales from South of the River

Michi said...

I completely know how you feel. I hope you find what you're looking for, whatever decision you might make! You descriptions of your time in Japan are some of the loveliest things I've read on any blog, and your love for the country and culture really shows. Just follow your heart and see where it takes you. :)