Today, I'm thinking about...
* It's the last day of May. It was kind of a long, lonely month, even though I did tons of fun stuff and made new friends: day trips to Kobe and Kyoto, cozy cafés and bike rides, house parties and week nights dinners in Umeda. I had a blast, and I've actually made an effort to say yes to any activity or event, and it has been nice. Regardless, it also required a lot of effort for my non-outgoing self, and I wish that isolating feeling would go away forever. I wonder how I'll look back on Japan when I'm gone? Either as the loneliest time of my life, or the most fun. I think it will be the latter... To be fair, my weekends have been fun-filled lately.
* I'm seriously obsessed with onigiri. Not only do I own a special onigiri lunchbox, but I discovered yet another amazing food stall right in Umeda station that sells fresh (read: warm) onigiri in any fillings you can dream of. I feasted on a shrimp concoction tonight for dinner. I wish I wrote down the name of the place, but I left so quickly to go eat my grub. I'm on the quest for the best onigiri in Osaka, please tell me about other places, or which flavours I should try.
* Having lots of time on my own also made me think about my life here in Japan and thinking that perhaps I should *start* thinking about putting an expiration date on it. Gasp! Not because I don't love it... because I do, and I cannot even imagine leaving this place. But for other reasons, such as restlessness, an ongoing wanderlust, and perhaps wanting to try to stay still for a little bit. I miss my friends, I miss my family, and my biggest fear is to start feeling resentful towards Japan and its culture, which I love oh so much, but also knowing that staying longer could get difficult.
* Stripes, florals, stripes, florals. Hello, summer.
* I have yet to see my first seasonal cockroach. I'm waiting for him impatiently, as I know the day will come, and I want to get it over with. Please turn up soon, the anticipation is worse than the actual situation.
* My dear friend Isabel is coming to Japan for a visit at the end of the summer, I am counting down the days until a Visabel reunion. Happy times!
* My Japanese friends invited me to eat some Fugu, which is pufferfish. In other words, the lethally poisonous fish if not prepared properly. When in Japan...