Monday, April 11, 2011

Philosopher's Path, Kyoto

One of the most wonderful places to view cherry blossoms in Kyoto, Japan is the famous Tetsugaku no michi, literally meaning "Philosopher's Path". It was named after a Kyoto University professor and philosopher who used to walk on that path to meditate and well, think.

Although the crowds of people viewing the sakura this weekend made it pretty difficult to muse, it was nonetheless such a gorgeous walk in the sunshine, on a path filled with pink blossoms all around, like fluffy clouds.

The Philosopher's Path and Kyoto also hold so many amazing memories and special meanings for me- when my mom visited Japan last year, when my friend Gina from Seoul visited in autumn, moments enjoying tea and apple cake at Pomme Café on that very path with Isabel, and Kyoto as the most soothing place I can think of when things get difficult with Japan, or life.

I know I've said it a million times, but Kyoto is magic, and no matter how many times I have been and how well I know those little alleys and paths, every time I discover something new, something that still holds the magic despite the hordes of pushy tourists.

This time, my friends and I drove to Kyoto (which is such a different experience from the train, although we learned a lesson... the train is ALWAYS faster and more efficient in Japan) and spent a whole afternoon walking and contemplating the last few days of sakura. They were already starting to fall off the trees, and I luckily caught a few to press in a book and send to Isabel, who loves flowers more than anyone in the world.

New friendships, new memories to create. I had the most sun-filled, sakura-filled day in such great company.

{Tetsugaku no michi}


{I hope you're not tired of seeing sakura pictures... }


{Feather, Vivian, Eve}


{House in Kyoto. Wouldn't you like to live there?}


{Oh, I like to call this one 'conbini chic'.... taken in a convenience store in Kyoto}


3 comments:

Tee, Passports and Postcards said...

Seeing the cherry blossoms is on top of my list for things to do in Japan. They are so beautiful! Pressing the flowers is such a great idea!

Isabel said...

pressed flowers from Japan - that is the nicest thought :)

xo

Christine said...

So beautiful :)