Sunday, April 17, 2011

Osaka Okonomiyaki

After a late, late (or early morning) bedtime on a Sunday morning, a hearty brunch is perhaps the only way to get some sleepy girls out of bed... yet, brunch is pretty nonexistent in Japan, so we've replaced it with okonomiyaki... Japanese style!

The Kansai region is particularly famous for its okonomiyaki: it's a savoury pancake containing batter, shredded cabbage, green onions, and any meat or toppings you like, such as kimchi, mochi, octopus, pork, or shrimp. In okonomiyaki, practically anything goes, hence the name, literally meaning "grill what you like".

Oh, and I like it all. I also think I found the best okonomiyaki restaurant in Osaka, Fusaya. It's very famous around here, and it is indeed the tastiest okonomiyaki I have ever had. It's hidden in a little run-down, covered arcade halfway between Shinsaibashi and Tanimachi (where I live), and has the friendliest owner and the walls are covered with pictures and autographs of celebrities who visited the shop.

I highly recommend to start with the kimchi yakisoba noodles, and follow with the mochi cheese and shrimp okonomiyaki. Mochi are Japanese rice cakes, and they melt perfectly in the batter, along with the cheese and variety of vegetables.






Thank you Eve for introducing me to this hidden treasure!

6 comments:

Brenna said...

YUMM!!

{lovely little things} said...

I loved okonomiyaki!!

Michi said...

YUMMY!!! :)

Samurai Shonan said...

I like Okonomiyaki and Takoyaki when they are really hot and stick to the roof of my mouth. I think I must be the M side of S and M

Stella said...

I love Mochi, but sweet :)
Great blog, I'll visit you
xoxo

Jeffowick said...

I just had Okonomiyaki with a friend for the first time. It was so delicious, but my favorite part was sprinkling on katsuobushi while it was hot and watching it 'dance'.