Sunday, April 3, 2011

Hanami at Osaka Castle




During the very, very short-lived sakura さくら season, families and friends gather at parks and gardens to enjoy the cherry blossoms and just relax and celebrate. We call it hanami, which literally means "flower viewing", and those are practically picnics. Everyone sits on a blanket or mat and bring copious amounts of foods and drinks, and everyone is in playful, high spirits. In other words, lots of tipsiness... and food.. and friends. It's the arrival of spring.

Hanami season only lasts about ten days, so during those days plenty of events are taking place, during the day and evenings. My first hanami of the year was at Osaka Castle, right by my home, which was lovely.











{Hanami outfit: shorts instead of a skirt... jacket because it gets chilly... ballerina flats, which are easy to take off}

... and it's a small world. Remember my best friend Isabel, in Marugame, who sadly returned to London in the summer? Turns out one of her good friends from London just moved to Osaka, so she put us in touch and we've been hanging out a lot lately. She is absolutely lovely, and I'm so happy to have a new friend in Osaka.



Photo credits to lovely Feather xo

5 comments:

Brenna said...

How beautiful! I love the heart sunglasses :)

Rosemary Brennan said...

Breathtaking!! And don't you love when a friend you adore introduces you to new friend who you end up adoring as well?

Jeffowick said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and can't wait to see the Sakura blossoms in Japan myself. Who doesn't love a picnic? My wife and I are planning to move to Japan this summer. I'm currently waiting to hear back from JET (Oh how I hate the waiting) and if I don't get into JET then I will find another ALT program or perhaps an Eikaiwa.

Until then, we'll just go to the Sakura Matsuri here in New Jersey this year and have a picnic in Newark.

Christine said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Wish it was Spring here in Toronto so I can see the cherry blossoms at High Park.

stacywahh said...

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I've linked to this blog post in a recent post on my own blog. Here's the link:
http://stacywahhh.blogspot.com/2011/04/things-i-learned-in-japan-why-sakura.html

I've never been to Osaka Castle, but I really, really, really WANT to go. I hope on my next trip I can. It looks so beautiful with sakura!