Friday, April 29, 2011

Golden Week, round two.



Yesterday marked the start of Golden Week, the busiest (and perhaps longest) holiday in Japan. It contains a stretch of public holidays, such as the Emperor's birthday, Children's Day, Greenery Day, and Consitution Memorial Day. Last year, some friends from Canada came to visit, so we made a little jaunt to Tokyo, then Osaka and Nara with Isabel (banana on escalator, anyone?).

Since everything is overpriced, overbooked and crowded during Golden Week, I decided to stay around Kansai this year and play tourist in my own home. To be fair, since I moved to Osaka I haven't had the time to enjoy it as a visitor, and there are so many sights I still want to see. Or yet, just soak in Kansai and all the beauty it has to offer. I plan on walking around Kyoto, go hiking in Arashiyama, see the Kobe harbour front, find more lovely caf├ęs, pet deer in Nara (of course!), spending time with friends, do tons of cooking, bike riding, running, and lounging around.

I do live in my favourite area of Japan, and I am getting excited to explore it. This time, without uncomfortable overnight buses, tiny youth hostel showers and bunk beds, or cumbersome backpacks.

2 comments:

hoihoi51 said...

came to Kyushu..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbJzCFgjnU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045SfdlrOfw

Michi said...

Ah, the joy of living in the center of what you love! I'm in the process of leaving provincial Spain, and can't wait to be somewhere I love...