Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tanimachi Yonchome: My neighbourhood.

Tonight, as I was running in my neighbourhood (burning off calories from vanilla buttercream cupcakes), I thought about how I never actually shared pictures of my street and the surrounding area. I really love where I live, since I'm a few subway stops away from Namba (or a 10-min bike ride) and Umeda, and I can walk to Osaka Castle in less than 3 minutes... it's literally on my street. I live near Tanimachi 4-chome station 谷町四丁目, a neighbourhood which people usually refer to as "Taniyon". It's mostly a financial district, populated with skyscrapers, headquarters and hordes of salarymen, but also filled with little cafés tucked in side streets and countless restaurants and tiny sake bars.

I love how it's the perfect balance between city and nature: behind the high-rise buildings and highway overpasses is the wonderful, lush Osaka Castle Park, and on my way to the supermarket I always stumble upon some hidden shrines, all lit up at night and so peaceful.

Here are a few snapshots of my 'hood.

{Tanimachi Yonchome, my subway station. It runs on two different lines, Tanimachi and Chuo}

{The main road near my house. My apartment is located on a back street}

{Highway overpasses a few streets away from my apartment. I love how massive they are, really makes me feel like I'm in a big city... which I am.}


{Shrine lit up at night, such beautiful lanterns}

{Osaka Castle at night, with high-rise buildings in the backdrop}

{The café downstairs of my apartment. Maybe it will become my own "Central Perk"}

{Another café nearby}

{Yet another eating/drinking establishment}

I heart Osaka. My home.


10 comments:

Isabel said...

can't wait to come visit you :)
xo

{lovely little things} said...

What a cute little neighborhood cafe!

Michi said...

Hi, just heard about the major earthquake and tsunami in Northern Japan. Is everything okay in your part of the world?

Lauren London said...

I hope you are ok!

Rachel said...

I hope your okay too! I feel so bad.

Sienna said...

Are you really lucky enough to be living in Japan? Wow, hope you're safe with the earthquake, but that is a pretty amazing life

Laquichia Webb said...

I heart that you heart Osaka :) AND the Central Perk reference!

Amanda said...

You're making me homesick for Osaka! How lovely to live so close to the castle. I lived in Higashi Osaka and Nara back in 2001-2003 - can't believe it's so long ago now. Will be keeping an eye on your blog for sure :-)

Cailin Coilleach said...

Will be visiting Tanimachi yonchome again in a few months. I'm looking forward to it! The announcements on the subway that calls out the station always makes feel like I'm coming home.

We'll be staying at the WMT mansion building.

llq said...

pretty good post. I lawful stumbled upon your blog and wanted to command that I get really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any condition I’ ll be subscribing to your maintain and I hope you despatch again soon cheap mobile phone.