Monday, March 14, 2011

Miso soup and more.

Those past few days have been really stressful and sad, but going back to work today felt really good, as kids are always so happy and lighthearted, which is contagious. I have not been sleeping too well lately, worrying about my friends and the general situation, although I am pretty sure things are safe and stable where I am. Seeing empty shelves at convenience stores all over Osaka was a harsh reality check. I offered extra futons and refuge in Osaka to any of my friends who would be able to catch a train south, as trains are not running frequently. Many people are leaving the area or even the country, as daily scheduled blackouts are now occurring for the next several weeks. I don't feel like I need to leave Japan now, I'm safe where I am.

Times like these make me crave friendly company and comfort foods, and I thought I should share my miso soup recipe. This is my own Vivian twist on one of my favourite Japanese dishes, as I omitted fish stock (I really don't enjoy anything too 'fishy') and added noodles to make it more hearty, so I can enjoy it as a meal. To those outside Japan I hope you can try making this tasty dish, as miso paste is very easy to find at Asian markets, and maybe you can have a thought for Japan while eating it...

{Miso soup}
{Red miso paste, maybe you can find this brand, or a similar packaging}


Miso Soup

3 cups water
2 tablespoons red miso paste (I prefer the red kind)
200 g tofu, cubed
Spring onions
Seaweed (I only put a few leaves)
Handful of udon noodles, precooked (the thick kind, but any kind works)
Dash of salt

Bring the water to a boil, then add everything else in. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Enjoy.

If you would like to donate for Japan, please check out the Red Cross.

Here are some very useful links for those of us in Japan, or if you know anyone here.



14 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Did you read my mind? I've been dying to try miso soup at home, but have always been a little intimidated (I have no idea why as it's relatively simple, right?). I'll definitely give it a go now!

Vivian said...

Vanessa!! I'm glad... please try it! It's so easy it's not even funny. This recipe is the most simple you can find, my Japanese friend just gave it to me as a base. You can probably look up some more interesting ones... let me know if you make it! xx

{lovely little things} said...

Sounds good, I don't like anything too fishy either. Must try this!

Christine said...

this is also on my list of comfort foods especially in the winter time.

Carie said...

I make ths with noodles too, one of my favs. :)

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Oh-my-gosh! I can't believe it is that east to make. I love the idea of homemade miso soup. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michi said...

MMmmmmmmm, miso soup is one of my favorite dishes. I've been craving a good soup, thanks for sharing. :)

Jen said...

Oh Vivian... I'm breaking my fast to see how you are doing in Japan. My heart hurts for all of those affected, and I am glad to read that you are safe and well.

Rosemary Brennan said...

SO so SO glad to hear that you're doing OK. Like others have said, my heart aches for those who were affected by the earthquake and tsunami. Sending hugs your way. And thanks for the miso suggestion!!

Sofi Stellar said...

YUM! This is so weird, I was just thinking about how I wanted to make my own miso soup, but had no idea how to do it! I'm so going to now! Thanks for this :DD

Michelle said...

Vivian,
I came across one of your old blog postings (winter survival) just last week, right around the time of the earthquake. Here in Michigan, we are slowly moving out of the cold-cloudy-wet-winter phase. Then after hearing about the earthquake and its aftermath I thought again of you and your blog, and - whew! - I'm glad to know you're safe. I am in "fast" mode right now which means eating a lot of non-dairy non-meat Asian food, including miso, sushi, etc. so now Japan is on my mind more than ever. Here's to sending good thoughts to everyone in Japan and hoping for a speedy recovery.
Kind regards.

andnever said...

I love your recipe posts!! I always try them out. If you had a good curry recipe, that would really make my day!

mina said...

I've been creeping your facebook page to make sure you are OK every day. I have two friends in Japan I haven't heard from and I feel sick. Your blog header seems so ominous lately. I'm glad you are still safe and I wish I could do something to help besides giving money - tell me if you think of anything.

I tried making miso soup at home once but I think I bought extra strong paste (was labeled in Japanese) and it was too fishy for me. Oh well, I'll leave it to the pros.