Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake.

Today, the earth moved and there was major damage in some parts of Japan. Thankfully I'm in Osaka, a few hours south of Tokyo, so I'm safe, and I feel so lucky.

It was so strong that I felt it all the way here. I was teaching in Kobe, and three of us were sitting in the teacher's room, doing crafts and chatting. I suddenly felt very nauseous and dizzy, but didn't say anything until my friend Anne brought it up and we all agreed that something really weird was happening- the walls and earth were literally shifting and moving. It was our first earthquake, so we had no idea.

It was more scary than anything. I feel so sad and concerned for all my friends and the people up in Tokyo and the northern prefectures that got severely hit. Thankfully my friends are okay. You never can imagine the amplitude of that kind of natural disaster until it hits so close to home.

Thank you for all your kinds words and concern, it felt so comforting to hear from friends and family from home. Somehow this whole week has been a bit of a disaster on personal levels, but those kinds of events really put things in perspective.

All my thoughts to the people who live in this country that has become my home.

xx

12 comments:

Kristina said...

Looking at the pictures and videos of the quake and the tsunami I am simply speechless! Such a brutal force!! I am so happy to hear that you and all your friends are doing well!!
My thoughts go out to all of you in Japan, be safe!!

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Watching the news coverage in complete horror. I am so happy to hear that you are safe. We are now under a tsunami watch here (in California).

French Lover said...

Merci de nous avoir tenus au courant sur Facebook... It's all so scary. I've been reading the news all day, trying really hard not to cry. I'm so glad you're safe.

happy moments said...

thank God, you 're all safe and sound. i know it's terrifying. I've lived many, Athens is quite shaky. You have my thoughts and best wishes. I wish it stopped here.

Kelly said...

thank goodness you're alright!! i'm so sorry this is happening and am thinking about your friends today. xx

Melanie's Randomness said...

I am so happy you did this post! I'm so glad to hear you & your friends are okay! One great thing about blogging is that you get to read people's blogs from all over the world, like yours. Then tragedy strikes and you freak out easier because you know the world is a huge place and there are people everywhere. I hope Japan gets some rescue help and that there isn't any aftermath tremors or antying.

thevoyageofv said...

Viv, I've been thinking of you all day! I'm so relieved to hear that you're ok. But what a tragedy the whole thing is. Keeping the people of Japan in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you!

thedarkmartini said...

I'm very glad that you and your friends are okay. The images and new coming out of Japan are so upsetting. :(

Josianne said...

Fiou ! Je suis contente de lire que tout est ok pour toi. Surement plein de monde me posera la question au studio lundi, en particulier "tu sais qui" ;) Prends soin de toi xx

L said...

I am glad you are okay.. Japan is in my thoughts and prayers. Wow.

Michi said...

I'm so glad to hear this. My thoughts and prayers to all the people in Japan.

lily said...

Possibly the most amazing blog that I read all year halter neck wedding dresses!?!