Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines... what?


In Japan, on Valentines Day, girls give chocolate to boys, while boys reciprocate exactly a month later on White Day. It's my second Valentines Day in Japan, and I've never actually followed the tradition (last year I was too shy, and this year.... well, I ate the chocolate already). I've always thought Valentines Day was overrated, but I am growing to love it more and more, as I realize it's the only day of the year I don't feel guilty indulging on tons of chocolate.

Sorry, boys in Japan. Eve and I ate all of the luxurious chocolate we picked up at the import food store, along with some Earl Grey tea and a screening of Pretty in Pink, while staying warm and cozy at the kotatsu. Japan has been cold and snowy, as for the first time in years Osaka has been covered by a white blanket.

The snow will probably melt tomorrow, but it's been a lovely reminder of winter snowfalls back home, which I surprisingly dearly miss.

7 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Happy V-Day, Viv!

Popcorn, Pugs & Peonies said...

Love the tradition! Have some chocolates for moi!

christie said...

i never knew this!! how funny :) i have japanese clients and i never know whether or not they celebrate certain holidays so it's funny to know they were celebrating vday today too!

Samurai Shonan said...

I do not miss the long winter cold of NY City, nor the snow and the sleet...nor the door locks being frozen, or the rubber tearing off of the windshield wipers. I do miss the sound of the key breaking in the door lock of the car, and the metal of the remaining parts of my wipers ccraping the windshiel...like finger nails on a black board...for those who remember a black board. The only fun you can have with a white board, is to switch the white board markers with really smelly permanent ink ones. I feel like I am blogging in my comment. Forgive me. It was your picture that made me do it. So so pretty. I wish there were a way to stay body young but brilliant in brain. I just do not want to be like an avocado when I grow up.

Michi said...

How romantic. :) I wish it snowed here!

I never knew about White Day either...

Nicole Marie said...

hahah i remember you telling us this from last year... i would have kept all the chocolate to myself too :)

Miyan said...

i love hearing the ways other parts of the world celebrate diferent holidays. pretty cute. and its OK to eat all the chocolate you were supposed to hand out..... =)

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com