Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mid-week musings

On my mind this Wednesday...

... My latest obsession is the Hankyu Railway, as nerdy as it sounds. It's a train line that connects Osaka to the northern Kansai region (Kyoto, Kobe, and the like). I love its maroon cars, the faux wood paneling on the inside, and the aluminum window shutters, which give an awesome seventies feel. I especially enjoy crossing the Yodo river and seeing the mountains in the backdrop, while the train pulls away from the skyscrapers and Umeda building. Thankfully, this will become a part of my daily routine, as I'll ride the Hankyu line to my regular kindergarten class for the upcoming school year.

{Hankyu train. How vintage.}

... After listening to Discovery's Osaka Loop Line song on repeat for the last few months, I finally came to the realization that the main melody of the song is the actual jingle you hear over and over when you wait for the train on the platform. If you take the Osaka Loop Line regularly, you will know what I mean...

{I love this whole album, so upbeat and perfect for running.}

... How magical and ethereal is Sofia Coppola's latest work of art, for Miss Dior Chérie perfume part deux? Sofia Coppola is still and always will be my style and artistic icon, as everything she does is so beautiful and inspiring.


{I love every little detail.}

... I do enjoy my low-key weeknights, which are filled with home cooking (avocado salads, miso soup, tofu and eggplant stir fry, seafood salads or sashimi are my latest favourites), and sleepy time tea before crawling into bed at a very reasonable hour (or "baby o'clock", as my friend Mike calls it, as he misses our late-night chats on Skype... so do I, sadly). My city lifestyle is so much more balanced and healthier than it was in the countryside, as my packed schedule requires organization, planning, and frequent exercise to keep myself sane. More running = more chocolate, too.


{Organizing.... clothes rack courtesy of MUJI}

{Cooking...}

{Me and Mike, circa our Nagoya days. We're the only two left in Japan from our original group. We also both left the countryside for the bright lights of Tokyo and Osaka.}

7 comments:

takechan said...

HI.

Plese take Keihan line to Kyoto next weekend.
You'll hear jingles at stops, by connecting these, they'll become a music.

Keihan Ltd.Express train for Kyoto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyRBq-6h6SQ
Yodoyabashi,Tembabashi,Kyobashi,Hirakatashi,Kuzuha,Chusyojima,Tambabashi,Sanjo.

enjoy:)

Vivian said...

Oh I know that music!!! I also love the Keihan line!! Thanks for that link... oh... I'm such a train nerd...

Brenna said...

I run so much more in the countryside - if only out of pure boredom! hehe. It's nice to have a break from the gym.

andrewgraemegould.com said...

The Hankyu line was my line a couple of deacdes ago for the three years we were living in Japan. Glad to see they've kept the look. By the way, I quickly found out it was OK for the foreigner to open the window when it's stiflingly hot inside in winter... (No one else will.)

All the best from Santiago...

Isabel said...

I love that train jingle fact! Percy would be proud! <3
xo

Leah said...

I recommended your blog to my hairstylist today who really wants to visit Japan.. She even wrote a song called I want to go to Japan, or something like that. wouldn't be surprised if she asks to crash with you at some point ;)

mina said...

I'm a little bit obsessed with Natalie Portman... I love that Dior ad (and the old one too!)