Sunday, February 20, 2011

The loop line takes you round and through.

Since I moved to Osaka two months ago, I've had visitors from Kagawa practically every weekend here, which was lovely and kept me in my comfort zone, somehow. This weekend was my first one on my very own, and I wanted to make it a typical Osaka weekend with my friends here, and it was so much fun.

On Friday night, I had dinner with my lovely coworker Anne and her boyfriend, who is an amazing cook. They also hail from Montreal, and it was so refreshing to speak French all night and it made me feel so close to home. We feasted on a delicious home cooked meal and apple tea, while musing on cultural differences between Japan and Canada. They just moved to Japan, so it was interesting to share our respective experiences. I had forgotten how comforting it is to speak in my mother tongue, and how different my personality is in French. I feel more strong-minded and passionate about things, it seems. They made me feel so close to my roots, which I had missed. It was such a lovely evening, I could not stop smiling the whole train ride back, while listening to the Arcade Fire. Montreal, I love you.

On Saturday I woke up feeling vaguely homesick and a bit lost, so I went for a run around my neighbourhood, as it was such a warm and sunny day. Running always helps me clear my mind and re-energizes me. I later headed to Shinsaibashi, to pick up a little birthday present for Eve at LaDurée (where else...). On my way back, I stumbled upon a trendy little area of Osaka called Orange Street, which is full of hip brands, vintage shops, design stores and stylish cafés. I gasped when I saw the gorgeous Marc Jacobs storefront, then heaps of shops all trendier than the next. This is officially my favourite area of Osaka, which is accessible from Yotsubashi station on the blue subway line.

I got dressed up then headed out to celebrate Eve's birthday, which was done in typical Osaka fashion: some bar and lounge hopping around Shinsaibashi, and of course some dancing. Sunday was spent in my pajamas, watching movies and drinking tea. This was such a perfect Osaka weekend... I am so happy here, I feel at home. I love unlocking the door to my cozy little apartment, I love the way it smells when I first walk in (a mixture of laundry soap, orange flower candle and Chanel Mademoiselle perfume), and I love how plush my bed and pillows are, and how warm my kotatsu is.


{Marc Jacobs store, Osaka}

{Enjoy Café on Orange street, Osaka. You can pick your own mug, each has a different animal.}

{Osaka makes me wear bold colours... I never really wore red before. Skirt, Zara. Top, Uniqlo. Lipstick, Chanel.}


Enjoy Café picture via

7 comments:

French Lover said...

Awwww there's a bunny in your coffee !! SO CUTE.

thedarkmartini said...

Entries like this make me wish I was living in Osaka. By the way, I love your outfit in that picture. Also Arcade Fire ftw. <3

Tu-Anh said...

theres a laduree in japan?? ahh!

David said...

I'm obsessed with Orange Street as well! So many hidden gems there. Where is Ladurée in Osaka!?

Vivian said...

David- yes Orange street is the nicest part of Osaka...
the LaDurée shop is inside Daimaru (Shinsaibashi), but you know how there are two Daimaru next to each other? It's in the most upscale one, right by Gucci, main floor.

Des said...

Imagining you sitting on a train in Japan listening to the Arcade Fire is such a perfect "Lost in Translation" moment that it made me smile. You sound really content there.

defining amy said...

i wish i lived a city that made me wear bold colors!! you look gorgeous. and that vintage train is amazing.