Sunday, February 20, 2011

Japanese Cooking


If you are looking for simple, basic Japanese recipes, I highly recommend this book, Basic Japanese Cooking by Jody Vassallo.

I've always thought Japanese cuisine was quite elaborate and complicated, but flipping through this book at my friends' house made it look a lot less difficult. All my favourite dishes (such as okonomiyaki, miso soup, eggplant salad, onigiri, sashimi, green tea ice cream) are included. They even have pictures of the ingredients' packaging, which makes it easier to pick up at the supermarket- for me at my local grocery store, since I cannot read everything, and for people back home at import shops.

I'm now excited to go to the supermarket to stock up on miso paste, seaweed and tofu and try my own miso soup... for starters. I love, love, love Japanese food!

3 comments:

Gary Wilkinson said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I may give the book a try sometime, it would be nice to be able to cook something nice for people. Perhaps I may even try do a japanese dinner party someday

{lovely little things} said...

Yum, I'm going to look into buying this. I would love to try okonomiyaki at home!

Christine said...

I need to buy this book.