Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My new best friend.

{Kotatsu table, MUJI. Best purchase EVER.}

I mentioned that my kotatsu deserved its own entry, so here it is.

Kotatsu こたつ is a low, wooden table with an integrated heating system from underneath. The table's frame is covered with a heavy blanket or futon, and the top is cover by a table top. In the summer, you can remove the futon and just use it as a regular table. It's probably one of my favourite things about Japan, and as Japanese homes are poorly insulated, it really keeps me warm and toasty. I've fallen asleep there a few times, and usually crawl under there whenever I get home... or wake up... or eat.... or hang out, which is pretty much all he time. I save quite a bit of money on heating costs (the aircon tends to be very expensive), and it definitely lures friends over here (I'm responsible for an increase in kotatsu sales lately across Japan). It's definitely something we could use for those long Canadian winter.

The downside is, it gets so comfortable that it makes it difficult to get away from it...


{Caught!! Being unproductive whilst staying warm.}

9 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Super cozy!

Emilie Esnault said...

We need this table!!!!

Travelavenue Team

Michi said...

We have a very similar thing here in Southern Spain! It's called the "brasero" - a regular table covered by a thick blanket, with a small heating system underneath. The dog loves crawling under there, and I push our little day bed next to it when I take my siesta. ;) Good to hear you're staying warm with your Kotatsu!

lyndsey said...

i found one on benippon.com -- very difficult to restrain whipping my credit card out right now.

Kelly said...

that thing looks AMAZING!!! hahaha cute picture of you :)

Isabel said...

you look gorgeous in that picture, Vivian.
xo

Jen said...

What a nifty concept!

ruarted said...

I've been following your blog since before you left Seoul. I think the way you write strikes a special balance of vagueness and informative/interesting information. Like with this post--which I enjoyed, even with your photo, I really didn't get a good idea of what you were talking about. So I googled it and read the wikipedia article about it. I think that's good! You wrote something that caught my interest and made me research it further, so I learned something.

Of course you probably remember Korea has something kind of similar, (I'm an English teacher in Korea) a thin mattress/electric blanket hybrid that you plug into the wall and sit on top of with or without a blanket to stay warm. People often lay them on the floor and/or put them on their mattresses and sleep on top of them with one blanket over their bodies to insulate the heat. Did you experience these in Korea? I think they start at about $200 (at least at Costco).

How much is the Kotatsu table?

When are you going to post comparing your experiences in Korea and Japan?

mina said...

It looks comfy! I'm already over the Canadian winter and could use one of those. The snow is pretty though and we're thinking of heading to Quebec City for the 'carnaval'.