Friday, January 14, 2011

Morning rush hour in Osaka




My morning commute has quickly become one of the most interesting parts of my day. I honestly need a full breakfast and strong tea to face the pure madness that is the Osaka subway rush hour. I live in a financial area of downtown Osaka, so as soon as I exit my apartment building, I immediately walk into packs of salarymen rushing about. All the stereotypes about the Japanese subway system, including train attendants shoving people into the subway cars are definitely accurate in Osaka. All I can see in the morning are swarms of fast-paced black and white figures scurrying alongside.... the black and white being well, the typical salary men crowd. I must definitely clash with this crowd, a white girl clad in colorful duds and a polka-dot backpack (hey, I'm a kindergarten teacher by day...).

There is definitely no time to munch on my croissant or have a sip of coffee, but I enjoy being part of the morning madness in Osaka, makes me feel at home in this city I'm completely, utterly smitten with.

8 comments:

French Lover said...

oh.my.God.

It's not even like that in Paris.

Or at least not everyday ;)

thevoyageofv said...

Although I'm soooo excited to skip the commute I have here in Sweden, one of the things I'm most skeptical about when it come to my NYC move is how crowded the trains get at rush hour. Icky smells and no space. Groan.

Miyan said...

oh wow. interesting...

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

chochajin said...

I've been reading your blog for some time now. Usually I'm too busy to actually leave a comment, so sorry that I've only be lurking so far.
It's especially interesting for me to read about your city life, because eventually I might do the same as you.
I've been in Japan for 3 years now and going into my 4th year. All in the same small inaka so far. I like it, but eventually I also wanna experience the big city life. So reading your latest entries is really inspiring :D

Mowgli said...

i lived in Osaka for a few months. At around what time does this happen? never experienced it myself :/

Vivian said...

Mowgli- between 7-8 am, on Midosuji line (red line) mostly.

Michi said...

I love that you are in love with this!

I personally am not smitten with huge crowds, least in the mornings, but your take on it all makes me want to jump right in the midst of it all!

Samurai Shonan said...

Tokyo and Yokohama are the exact same way, so I take the first train out in the morning from the start of the line, so at least I get a seat.

Going is not bad, but coming home late can be a hassle. Lots of Natto breath.