Monday, January 24, 2011

Mmmmm Ramen

Back home, I always associated eating ramen with being a broke university student surviving on cheap packs of noodles with dried chicken-flavoured powdered seasoning. In Japan, ramen is an art, and it has quickly become one of my favourite dishes. Like every fare in Japanese cuisine, every detail is done to perfection, from the broth to the flavouring.

Ramen is best enjoyed on a cold winter night (or at 6 am after an all-nighter), and tonight my friend Eve introduced me to Ippudo Ramen, which is actually a chain (they even have a shop in New York City), but the quality is nonetheless very high. I usually believe that the dingier the shop, the best the ramen is (it usually works out), but this particular place is the exception to the rule. The shop is bright and trendy and the food delicious.



{I went to the shop that's located closest to my house, near Shinsaibashi station. The different locations in Japan are listed here.}


Ippudo is actually a type of ramen that originates from Hakata (Fukuoka), and is probably the best in all of Japan. We also feasted on a side dish of gyoza and sipped on barley tea. I cannot think of a better way to spend a Monday evening on a chilly January night.


5 comments:

viet said...

Hi,
I just stumble into your posts by searching for my upcoming exchange semester in Akita. And WOW, your blog is awesome! I really enjoy reading your posts! I have a website about Asia too (www.blogofasia.com). It'd be fantastic if you can do a guest post there! My readers and I will love to hear about your living experiences in Japan!
Hope to hear from you soon!

Canadian Pie said...

looks yummy! One of these days, I will have to go to Japan and eat everything!

Leah said...

I need to move to New York..

Existential in Japan said...

I went to the Ippudo in New York City! It was bar none the best and most authentic Ramen I have ever had outside of Japan- in fact it even rivaled some of the ramen I had in Japan! :)

Tu-Anh said...

i LOVE ippudo!!! the wait is always at least an hour here in new york though. i miss it. need to go back soon! =)