Thursday, December 23, 2010

Survival Skills

{Wednesday night in Osaka.}


Or, my first night in Osaka.

After an eventful last morning in Marugame, trying to get everything in order (while still being sick), I boarded the train to Osaka (Shinkansen... I had to leave my Marugame life in style), and started the madness that is moving into a new place.

I am loving my new apartment and the layout, it's a lot more open than my previous one. However, I realized that I'm starting from scratch, as I sat in my near-empty apartment all of last night, waiting for my luggage to ship. I do not have any appliances or curtains, or any kind of furniture. It's a pretty scary feeling, but I wasted no time making it a home. I also realized that those first moments in a new place and new city are all about basic survival skills, such as finding the supermarket, and finding my way back home. No internet... unpacking and cleaning to The Smiths.

I ventured in my neighbourhood for a late-night walk, and I found myself startled by all the sights and crowds. I think I've been deprived of city living for way too long, as I felt quite overwhelmed and excited by the countless caf├ęs, shops, restaurants, and convenience stores. I know I will love it here, so much! It's so trendy and lively, and I've never been so close to all the downtown action, never before in my life.

I managed to pick up some essentials to survive those first few days, and the apartment is slowly becoming a home.

Thank you for all the tips I got for my throat, I'm feeling a lot better today.

I cannot believe I live in Osaka....


{Thursday morning... a bit better... makeshift curtains.}

12 comments:

Kristina said...

Sounds great!
Have a wonderful christmas and a happy new year! I am sure you will love Osaka!
Viele Gruesse, Kristina

thevoyageofv said...

I know what you mean. I came to NY yesterday (leaving today but will be back for longer next week) and I also found myself totally overwhelmed by everything. All the tourists, lights, cars, options, etc. I mean Malmo is no small town, but it's in a different league. So happy you're loving it and settling in!
Also, I believe I owe you an update email. Sorry it's taken so long... Things have been crazy lately with work and my trip home and Christmas coming up. I'll try to write a long one asap!

Anait said...

It sounds like a wonderful place to start 2011! Have a great Christmas in your "new" city and a wonderful New Years!

Michi said...

Your posts make me want to live in Japan! You're awesome! I hope you'll make great memories in your new home :) Happy Holidays!

Nicole Marie said...

oh my gosh i'm so excited for you!!! i love exploring and finding new restaurants and cafes! i bet it was hard to sleep the first nice because you aren't used to the city noises!

Isabel said...

<3
xo

Dynastar said...

Do you work there for PKC? I'm heading over in April, very excited. :O

Coffee_c said...

I'm so happy for you girl! I know you'll have a blast discovering Osaka and its hidden treasures.

Hope 2011 brings you all the joy and love you deserve.

xxxx

Miyan said...

nice new pad! the first photo is pretty cute with your little laptop there for blogging :) you will make it work, can't wait to hear about your progresses. Merry Christmas and happy new year, Vivian.

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

mina said...

When we moved into our new place, we were sleeping on a "nest" that we fashioned out of random puffy clothes, pillows and sleeping bags. I wonder if anyone every has a nice time moving.

I hope you had a wonderful Xmas and that you have a happy + healthy New Year!

xo

jaredinnakano said...

Congratulations on being named one of top 10 Japan blogs in English by CNNgo! http://www.cnngo.com/tokyo/life/best-english-language-blog-2010-530780

Leah said...

I can feel the butterflies of starting life in a new city. Love it!
Vivian, I decided to start blogging again for fun. Check out my blog if interested.