Sunday, December 12, 2010

Satsuma and Holiday Spirit


This weekend...

I've been cozying up under the kotatsu (seriously the most amazing thing about Japanese winters: a low wooden table covered with a heated futon), drinking way too many gingerbread lattes (sitting outdoors, too!)... baking Christmas-y cakes... saying goodbye to some of my cutest students and enjoying my very last days of teaching here (sad but relieved)... dressing up for a fun, very Japanese Christmas party (where I won the contest for 'hottest girl'... hmmm... to be fair I was the only foreign girl in attendance, and I'm still puzzled by the mere existence of such a contest... I did leave with some loot: a wig, a cropped t-shirt, and tons of Lush bath products)... catching the last train, barely... going dancing in Marugame (I was hoping to never type those words together. Sigh)... Eating delicious curry and naan... and snacking on satsumas (also called mikans, which are similar to clementines)... Having yet another horrible reality check about life in the countryside (but hey, it just reminded me that I'm doing the right thing)... shopping for furniture at MUJI... realizing my Japanese is not good enough to deal with too many things beyond basics (which motivates me to study harder)... giving away lots of my belongings (to make room for new ones)... spending quality time with the people I care about here and who made my year in Marugame stellar.

3 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

I want a kotatsu! That sounds like a most genius idea.
Also, congrats on your big win! Although the wig and cropped t-shirt sound like they have big plans for their hottest girl ;-)

{lovely little things} said...

Kotatsu sounds awesome, I could use that!
Glad gingerbread lattes finally came to Japan - enjoy while they're still here!!

pmak said...

I need a kotatsu. It has been snowing like crazy here. Body Shop's Satsuma body butter smells wonderful. I didn't realize they were so close to Clementines.