Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hello, December



December and the holidays in Japan DO NOT feel like Christmas at all, no matter how many tacky Christmas decorations I see and Christmas songs I hear everywhere I go. Sorry Japan, but you just cannot do Christmas, and to be fair, why would they have to, since it's a Christian holiday. I've had a very hard time getting into the whole holiday spirit this time around, as it's so warm and sunny, and to me, Christmas requires snow. Also, being away from my family and friends makes it very sad and difficult, as I won't be able to make it home this time around... for the third time in a row.

I miss going to Christmas parties and drinking champagne and eating nice foods, and just staying warm while the snow falls. I miss my friends more than ever now. I'm worried that living in the countryside has turned me into a frumpy, unsophisticated person. It's ridiculous, right? Sometimes the isolation really gets the best of me, and I feel so detached from everything and everyone. Thankfully, I have an amazing group of friends here in Japan, and I'm so fortunate for them.

Re-reading past entries of this blog, it makes me appreciate what I'm experiencing, even though this means giving up on a lot of other things I want. I tackled this issue before, but I do realize that my life seems so fun in Japan and my writing is usually very happy and upbeat. I also sound like a very well-balanced person, which does not always seem to be the case when I'm having random mini meltdowns. I usually choose to write about the good side of things, as I love Japan so much, but some days are oh so difficult and lonely.

I'm welcoming December with open arms and an open heart, and kicking it off with a LAST (obligatory) trip to my beloved Osaka, this time to go apartment hunting! It's stressful, costly, but very exciting. Stay tuned...

9 comments:

French lover said...

Aw, sweetie :( I think I get how you're feeling. Sounds pretty normal to me. Sending you a big cold hug from snowy Paris where we are freezing our butts off.

Ah et, tu as l'air d'être encore très loin de devenir une frumpy lady ;)

Anait said...

Just remember that these moments are temporary and you are living an adventure :) and soon you'll be in a big(ger) city with a whole host of new memories to come.

thevoyageofv said...

Trust me, I know how you feel. I just had my 5th (!) Thanksgiving out of the U.S. It's such an isolating feeling, thinking about everyone celebrating at home. The holidays are hard for those of us living abroad. Maybe you should start your own Japanese/Canadian Christmas traditions? That might make the season feel a little more festive!

Miyan said...

i can totally relate to the isolated feeling. they dont even celebrate christmas in israel so i dont even get to feel the holiday, its almost worse than seeing all the lights and hearing the music and just not being with family & friends... you are so strong and going through something so amazing though by being abroad. happy holidays, sweetie!

Miyan

www.miyan-overseas.blogspot.com

Isabel said...

you could never be unsophisticated or frumpy Vivian.
xoxoxo

Rosemary said...

Oh, Vivian! Sending you a big virtual hug from California. :) And I've got to agree with Isabel--there's no way you could be frumpy or unsophisticated. When I'm feeling especially mopey, writing (even though I don't always want to do it) makes me feel better. Even writing down my nonsensical feelings in a notebook is nice--it's always helped me to get it out. Also, your post totally reminded me of one of my favorite holiday songs: "Just Like Christmas" by Low. Give it a listen and I think you'll enjoy. XOXO

Bethany Dirksen said...

I just stumbled across your blog for the first time and thought I would say hello! I looked through a few of your posts and love your style. I am also living overseas right now in Belgium, The Netherlands, and Italy (for about a year total, in Belgium currently). Luckily they seriously know how to do Christmas! We even got some beautiful snow :) Sorry to brag :(

I'm a blogger as well, about the world of art, but my history is in interior design and fashion. I love to hear what people are saying! Hope we get to see more of each other in the future.

Bethany
www.DirksenDabbles.com

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry, ViVi :( Maybe you should bring the holidays to Japan..?!! Introduce your friends to the holidays that you're used to. One of my friends was in Italy studying abroad during college and missed all of our mainstream holidays. So she recreated each of them there; she had a blast.

Keep your chin up ♥
Have a blast on your trip!xx

mina said...

When we were in Tokyo, it was October and they had Halloween decorations everywhere. It was ridiculous, but I thought they did a better job than we do here!

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon. There's hardly any snow in Montreal and it definitely doesn't feel like Christmas to me yet either.