Thursday, November 11, 2010

Made in Japan: Autumn treats

I may have lied before when I said October was the most beautiful month in Japan. In fact, November is probably the most gorgeous. No rain, always sunny and crisp, warm during the day, and chilly enough at night to just cozy up under a blanket with hot apple cider and shortbread cookies.

Here are the recipes for those nice autumn treats.

Shortbread Cookies

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour

Mix everything and bake for 10-12 min at 350 degrees F (or um, the lowest setting on your mini toaster oven...).



{I used my bento rice molds to cut out cute shapes.}

Hot Apple Cider

I must give credit to my friend and neighbour for sharing his homemade recipe. You just simmer apple juice, a peeled orange, a peeled lemon (don't cut them up), cloves, cinnamon sticks, and a star anise. We like to spike it up with brandy, which make the bike ride home a lot more um, adventurous.

Marugame is a lot more fun after a few of those.

No comments: