Saturday, November 13, 2010

Breakfast in Osaka

... or, how to survive an all-nighter in Japan.

{Guess where I had breakfast this morning...}

Any excuse is good for a little getaway to my beloved Osaka, even if it's as short as twelve hours. Last night was my dear friend Mike's farewell party, as he's returning home after a year in Japan. Even though we lived in different prefectures, we kept in touch and met up frequently, and he and the other Mike were like my brothers, always looking out for me and taking care of me. Being abroad together can create such strong ties.

The sayonara party was done in true Osaka style. On Saturday afternoon I finished work, packed a small bag, changed into a dress, and hopped on the bus armed with some chocolate nibbles and soda to give myself some energy. After all, the previous night was spent at my friend's house, having an impromptu dance party and trying to recreate the moves in this video.

{Bus essentials: snacks, beverages, iPod, tights}

Luckily the three-hour bus ride was relaxing, and what ensued was some Osaka goodness, or as we like to call it, bad vibes: a meet up on the infamous Dotonbori bridge for some neon lights viewing and big city soaking, conbini drinks and style-watching at Triangle Park, a crazy night of music and dancing and being rambunctious and tons of new Osaka friends, and more and more dancing.




When we finally left the nightclub, the sun was already up and we walked the streets of Osaka in search of hearty fare. We found some scrumptious and filling ramen at a little outdoor stall near Dotonbori, leaned over the counter and sipped the hot broth and noodles, then it was time to say good bye.


I boarded the bus back to Kagawa, so sleepy that when I opened my eyes we were in Marugame, and my Starbucks had been left untouched. It was a crazy spontaneous little trip, but it was such a blast. I'm hoping, so so hoping, that it's the last time I make that trip to Osaka before officially moving there. I cannot wait.

Hellos and goodbyes.

{すき}

9 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the Harry Potter poster in Japanese.

Vivian said...

So funny, I hadn't even noticed!!!

Tee, Passports and Postcards said...

This sounds like a very fun evening! I can't wait to hear about your life on Osaka when you move there!

PS. I love the new header!

Kelly said...

i'm sorry you had to say goodbye to such a close friend :(
sounds like a really fun night thought; and i of course love your pictures :)

andnever said...

Salut! I just found out my 'tentative placement' in Kure City in Hiroshima!!

Vivian said...

andnever- great!!! i looked it up on a map, great location, close to the beautiful Hiroshima city and close to the inland sea and shikoku... nice!!

pmak said...

Osaka sounds like a fun place to live and great blog! I've been following along since last February. I found it after googling something in reference to "Lost in Translation", the movie. It is one of my all
time favorites. I have it on my iPhone for those impromptu moments that I want to watch
or listen to it. It came out the year my husband and I were just coming back from living in Hong Kong. We could totally relate. Anyway, I thought I would comment after passively following along. It is fun to read about your time in Japan. - P

Leah said...

I LOVE this post. I miss the bus rides to big cities. Always so relaxing and reliable.

Vivian said...

Pmak- Thanks for reading my blog, and for your wonderful comment! I'm so obsessed with the movie too...

Leah- Thank you, girl! I miss you, wish we could party together in Osaka. Indeed, there is something kind of epic about those long bus rides. They're relaxing and they also give me so much time to reflect on everything, it makes me appreciate being in Japan so much. I'll miss those when I live in おおさか...