Friday, October 1, 2010

Stalker Alert

I have a new stalker.

Or maybe it's just the way that Japanese men flirt with girls? I'm not sure.

This young, good-looking Japanese guy who hangs out at our local wine bar has taken flirtation to the next level. Not only did he propose marriage with the promise of us living a happy life in Marugame (honestly my worst nightmare), but he's been drunk calling me at 3am, begging me to come over to his house to meet his family. A few times I've checked my phone and saw that he called six times in a row. Oh, dear.

He also said things like:

"I want to see you NOW"
"I go to your house"
"I like you. I love you!"

Which sound creepy, but I think it's just a matter of limited use of English, so I should not be concerned. He's friends with a lot of my friends, and he is not a psycho, but somewhat intense. It's a little bit funny and a little bit scary at the same time. He should perhaps learn that being so insistent does not actually smitten me.

Does he actually want to come to my house? Am I invited to his house for dinner? Does he think we're engaged? Should I be worried? He's usually terrified of me in person, as I'm very intimidating to Japanese guys (he doesn't even sit next to me at the bar), but he's pretty straightforward on the phone. He certainly has no problems dialing away in the middle of the night.

I used to have a stalker in Korea, at the gym.

I could say that it's something that usually happens with Japanese and Korean men, but it's not all true. Since I moved to Marugame I also got stalked by fellow foreigners, but I won't get into that, I'm afraid some of them read this website.

8 comments:

French lover said...

Oh my. This is creepy. And a little funny too. To read, I mean. I bet in real life it's really annoying.

Courage ! ;)

thevoyageofv said...

Can I come to the wedding?

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Well that is discouraging to say the least. But on a side note- greetings I am a new English ALT in Marugame and more specifically Isabel's replacement. Thanks for the Blog I'm mining it for information I'm still getting used to getting around. If you're still in touch with Isabel let her know I'll send the pictures she left at her desk at Josei if she still wants them.

Vivian said...

Hi Elizabeth!! Good to hear from you, I'm actually looking forward to meet you. I miss Isabel so much, and I've been excited about meeting her replacement! I don't know if Isabel left you my contact info, but please email me or call me any time! I'll show you my favourite spots in Marugame. I hope you enjoy it!

xx

Coffee_c said...

A stalker...AGAIN?
Oh la la! You must be doing something wrong...or way right! ;-)

Existential in Japan said...

Hi Vivi! Goodluck with the stalkers/fanboys. Is he cute at least? ;)

P.S. This is NoExit from Dave's. Just wanted to say hi on your blog :) I enjoy reading about your adventures.

Tee, Passports and Postcards said...

This is kind of creepy...but maybe typical? My cousin is a flight attendant and she gets love letters/date proposals, etc from Japanese men on her flights all the time.