Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Visas, lists, and trains

Today was a pretty good day.

It started out with a train ride to Takamatsu, and the sight of my favourite train controller. Isabel and I named him "Percy" (although his real name is maybe Hidekazu), he's just the most delightful train station attendant, always smiling and so soothing.


{The Takamatsu-bound train arriving at Marugame station}

Today was one of those beautiful, crisp autumn days. I wore tights for the first time in a long time. And a scarf.

I spent a few hours at Starbucks (where else), writing god knows how many different lists.. "Things that I like about...", "Things that are wrong with...", "To do", "To buy", "Places to go". I hope no one ever finds that notebook, they would think I'm completely crazy (which I kind of am, but living in Japan on your own does that to you... in a GOOD way!). Writing down things makes me feel so productive, and helps me clear my head.


{Macchiato, lists, thoughts}

The reason I went to Takamatsu in the first place was to pick up my renewed work visa. To my surprise and delight, Japanese immigration granted me a three-year extension (instead of the usual one-year). It makes my life so much easier, as I feel like I have more freedom and time to think about what I want to do. I might not still be in Japan three years from now, but it's reassuring to know I have the option. Dealing with visas and immigration is the worst part of living abroad, so I'm happy this was all sorted out so simply and efficiently.

Oh Japan, you drive me nuts at times, but you are oh so kind to me.

4 comments:

john sc said...

hi Vivian. accidentally stumbled unto your blog while in CNNgo. interesting reading. will watch out for more.

{lovely little things} said...

Three years! Wow that's incredible, good for you! Might just have to come visit again :)

nmaha said...

I am a listaholic, so I totally understand the sense of peace that list making gives such people.

Good for you on the visa front. It's nicewhen things go unexpectedly well.

David said...

Are you still planning to make the move to Tokyo? I think you are a city girl at heart.