Friday, September 17, 2010

Vending machines

Japan has the highest number of vending machines per capita. You can literally find them on every street corner, even in rural areas like mine. Most of them sell drinks (iced coffee, soda, water), but some of them are quite interesting, like this banana vending machine in Shibuya:



Here are the most interesting vending machines I've seen around: beer and sake, rice (no kidding- you can buy huge bags of rice), ties and socks (for the salaryman in a hurry), tobacco, and sex toys (yes, that one is in the town next to where I live, it's pretty epic).

I found this fun article about the most bizarre vending machines in Japan.

Japan definitely is such a convenient place. But seriously, bananas? Why not...

7 comments:

andnever said...

Salut! I was randomly looking up blogs when I stumbled upon yours, it was nice to read your account of living abroad, with us both being Montreal born and bred. I have a starting date in late November with PKC. Have you thought of what you will do after the end of your contract? Est-ce que tu vas rester au Japon ou revenir à Montreal pour ta carrière en film?

Vivian said...

Hello!!! We might be working in the same area, who knows?! Keep me posted on your placement, I hope you enjoy it.

Je pense rester au Japon encore une autre année, j'adore la vie ici, mais honnêtement je me sens plutôt isolée en campagne, alors je pense transférer dans une plus grande ville!

thevoyageofv said...

Is it weird that I really want to see a picture of the sex vending machine?

Vivian said...

Not weird. Check your email. Haha!

Staci M.W. said...

Hi Vivian!
They had an egg vending machine in the town where I lived! No joke! Eggs!

Tee, Passports and Postcards said...

I heard that Japan has lots of vending machines for everything, but sex toys!? I'm learning new things all the time of your blog!

{lovely little things} said...

Lindsay & I took a picture next to this vending machine!!