Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just another Tuesday night

Just another Tuesday night in Marugame, drinking Chuhai in the parking lot across from the supermarket. I really don't like Chuhai, it's too sweet and fruity, but tonight seemed perfect for an 88 yen can of sugary, alcoholized goodness. A long bike ride around the rice fields, and sitting in front of Halow's with a friend. Quiet and lovely.




September is coming to an end, and summer is definitely gone, thank goodness. September was quite a disastrous month for me, as many things fell apart in my Marugame world. How I managed to survive (almost) a year living in a rural area is somewhat of a miracle, if you ask anyone who knows me well. I love Shikoku island and I consider myself lucky to have been able to experience living in one of the most beautiful, rugged areas of Japan. Looking back, I had a wonderful year, filled with friendships and traveling and excitement.

Lately I haven't been smitten with too many things around here, as I'm growing tired of the small-town lifestyle and the constant gossip and everyone knowing about everyone else's private matters. This has been so stressful and it's been making my life here so difficult, as I hate feeling exposed and conspicuous. Living in this small community sometimes resembles high school, and I'm exhausted from all the drama. I've been shying away from big gatherings and instead spending quality time with close friends, which is such a refreshing change. I've been thinking a lot and making important decisions, and hoping for the best.

Evenings like tonight seem so simple and boring, but to me, they'll be the moments I remember most fondly when I look back on my life in rural Japan.

One thing I know, is that I don't want Japan to end.

And, I had forgotten how brilliant is Radiohead's OK Computer.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I hate how up and down things can be when living abroad. You can hate everything one second and then in the next moment, fall in love all over again.

I couldn't agree more about OK Computer. I think it is one of the best albums ever made.

Have you heard Jonsi's new album? He is the lead singer from Sigur Ros... it is amazing! And he is coming to Seoul in November. I got tickets, even if they were 99,000 won! http://jonsi.com/go

Hope October brings more happiness!

Vivian said...

Thanks, Natalie!
Yes, it's a real roller coaster to live abroad...

I'll definitely check out Jonsi's album!! I like Sigur Ros, so should be interesting. Enjoy the concert, it's a real treat :)

Hope Seoul is as fabulous as ever!

xx

User Interface said...

Thank you for sharing this informative post to us.

increase soundcloud comments