Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Japanese lesson #1

Daijoubu だいじょうぶ

Daijoubu is my favourite Japanese word. It means, "Are you okay", or, "Is it okay", or simply, "Okay", depending on the intonation. I like the sounds of it, and I like that it can mean a lot of things. I find it useful to ask my kids in class, "Daijoubu?" if they seem upset or hurt themselves. I also use it as a statement to confirm or answer a question.



As for myself, I think I'll be daijoubu.

Exactly a year ago, I made the decision to move to Japan. I was looking for an adventure, and wanted to do something that would make me truly happy. I guess I did not have specific goals in mind, mostly just wanting to pursue my love story with Japan, a country I fell in love with a long time ago.

Sure, things don't always work so smoothly in any kind of relationship, but it's all part of the adventure, right?

Japan, I do love you.

6 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

If there was ever a person I knew would end up daijoubu, Vivian... It's you.

Nicole Marie said...

omg what it's been a whole year already??!!!

Bridget said...

wow- i've never been but would loove to go. i think it's so cool you just up and moved there.

Miyan said...

you are so brave for following your heart and persuing the adventure of living somewhere other than....home. i sometimes hate israel because i love it so much and thats what makes it all the more difficult to decide if i want to "plant roots" here, ya know?

i love reading about your adventures....

Corie said...

Love this post. :)

French lover said...

Wow, un an déjà :)
Et je t'envie toujours.. ^^