Monday, August 16, 2010

Yukatas and Green Tea ice cream

After some internet tutorials and help from a very kind Japanese friend, I figured out how to put my Yukata on! Yukata 浴衣 is one of the traditional Japanese garments. It's a lighter version of Kimono, usually worn at summer festivals. While Kimono can cost several thousand dollars (intricate ones), Yukata usually run under 100$. In fact, Uniqlo has a lovely selection of Yukata, all under 50$.



I managed to tie the Obi in a giant bow. I love Yukata, I feel so graceful wearing one, and the Geta (wooden footwear) is equally lovely... although I don't advise walking in them for an all-nighter.




This weekend also marked my first ever visit to a Japanese home. It was a wonderful Japanese family with three young children, friends of one of my fellow English teachers, who sadly left Japan yesterday. We celebrated her last night with green tea ice cream, and cuddles from the loveliest kids ever.



Those moments are so special to me. I'm not sure how I feel about August so far. It's been sad with all my close friends departing, but it's been exciting meeting and welcoming the new teachers, and attending all the beautiful Japanese festivals. The weather is hotter than ever, and I've been staying up way too late at night... insomnia, boredom, watching too much Gossip Girl, getting confused with Kanji... not sure.

No comments: