Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Japan love.



That's me these days, minus the kitty cat.

All this alone time, hiding from the daylight has been quite productive. My Japanese has improved, and I've been working on different personal projects and doing what I love: reading and writing. I had no idea living in Japan would require so much isolation and time on my own. I am surrounded with friends and can reach out to them at all times, but I still have heaps of time on my own, and I'm slowly getting used to it.... slowly. And getting used to Marugame without Isabel. Sad. I know I've mentioned it in previous posts, but I want to stress it again. I receive many questions from new Japan-bound teachers, and I think the most challenging part of living in Japan is not the culture shock or making friends, but spending THAT much time on your own... without driving yourself crazy.

Seriously. I feel like I'm achieving something here.

In other news, I've sorted my tights by colour, mixed cookies and vanilla ice cream, re-watched Breakfast at Tiffany's, roamed the supermarket at 1am, showed around my new neighbour (and friend), and attempted (failed) a run after sunset. Still too hot.

Japan, I still love you just as much. Perhaps even a bit more. I'm not sure if I'll ever be ready to leave.

7 comments:

French lover said...

Awww...

David said...

I like reading entries like this. I've been in Japan for quite a while and sometimes my Japan-love wanes. I always look for ways to get the spark. Last night while walking in Sangenjaya (when you come back to Tokyo please visit cool places like Sangenjaya) there was a spark--I loved seeing all the plants and flowers right by the side of the busy road. Beauty everywhere, I guess.

Vivian said...

Hi David! Thanks for your comment. Being in Japan is like a roller coaster, some days are definitely not so good, but somehow there's always a little something that reminds me of why I fell in love with Japan in the first place.

Speaking of Tokyo.. could you email me your email address, I would like to ask you a few things... if you don't mind!

morelli.vivian@gmail.com

Thanks! xo

thevoyageofv said...

I feel the same way. Some weekends I end up spending so much time on my own that it drives me nuts! Living alone definitely has its cons...

Nicole Marie said...

that would definitely be so hard for me to get used to. i've always live with at least 3 people sometimes up to like 8 and people are always over. I'm home alone right now and although i appreciate my alone time, i get scared all by myself!

Melan said...

sometimes I struggle with having TOO many people about... at university I long for an hour alone to write but it never comes! being alone is difficult but the fact you are so wonderfully occupying your time and catching up on reading, writing and Audrey Hepburn can only be a good sign! : )

Erika said...

I love this post. Personally, I love my alone time, as I feel as if I am so productive when I don't have others around; however, there are times when I go stir crazy from the quiet. :P