Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ichigo Daifuku and other treats

Living in rural Japan can be tough. Like today. The heat, that just won't let go. People staring and not wanting to sit next to me on the train. Unwanted attention from drunk old men. Terrified grandmothers. Young, good-looking guys shying away from me. Kids laughing at me. Sigh.

I won't lie, things haven't been easy lately, with Isabel leaving, and also realizing that Marugame does not have much to offer. I miss her, I miss taking trips with her, I miss having her here. I miss my boyfriend, whom I barely ever see because he lives in the middle of a rice field two hours away and we tend to each do our own thing. I miss my family and friends from home. I miss Sunday brunch with Lucy. I hate loneliness, that feeling that just creeps up on me regularly. It's all a bit exhausting, and I'm losing sleep over it. I'm hoping it will stop happening. Marugame is suffocating sometimes.

That's why a girl (living in rural Japan) must sometimes treat herself to small indulgences: red wine with friends on a Saturday night, a girlie sleepover, an Ichigo Daifuku breakfast (a fresh strawberry wrapped in a rice confectionary, the most divine sweet in the world), a train ride to cross to the mainland, a day shopping in Okayama with a girl friend, lunch at an Italian café, some dark grey ankle boots for the Fall, a take out cappuccino for the train ride back, and long chats with faraway friends. I'm thankful for all of those small things that make living in the middle of nowhere a bit easier.

I adore Japan, and I think it has a lot more to offer, therefore I'm thinking I should explore other areas... as I'm getting a bit restless.

Sorry for the rant.

{Ichigo Daifuku. You can get different flavours in each sweet, such as custard, chocolate, blueberry, green tea... they're heavenly}


{Nothing like a bit of fringe to put some excitement in my step. Can't wait to pair those up with black tights and a mini skirt}

11 comments:

E said...

Here's a really good youtube cooking show that teaches how to make ichigo daifuku:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cv5LsqKUXc

I learned how to make a lot of Japanese food from that channel! :)

Vivian said...

Thanks!!! I'll try that, should keep me busy and not whining ;)

See you tomorrow! Ha ha.

thevoyageofv said...

What? Why are they laughing at you? I would sit next to you on the train, Vivian :-)
I know how that loneliness feels, though, and always feeling a little on the outside... My friends are all busied with kids or have moved away. No fun at all. But I guess these feelings are just signs that it's time to move on! And I know you've got big plans that you're going to make happen, and I can't wait to see what you do after Marugame! XOXO.

Vivian said...

Aw, thanks V! I can't let you down, I need to ALSO reach my goals, since you are too ;)

The kids laugh at me because I'm well, white! Apparently it's funny.

I do have more leg room in the train, without someone across...

French lover said...

Ichigo daifukus are my favorite dessert EVER !!!
Unfortunately I couldn't find any while I was in Japan because they were out of season :(

{lovely little things} said...

Sorry you're feeling lonely, hope it gets better soon. Go on airfarewatchdog.com for cheap flights to London to visit Isabel!

And how did I not try ichigo daifuku - looks delicious!

Vivian said...

Thanks Michelle!! So sweet :)

Aw, I forgot to bring you ichigo daifuku! I meant to bring you some in Osaka...

Isabel said...

Love the boots so much!

Remember our ichigo daifuku breakfast with the yoyo brigade on my last day. I miss that. I miss you

xoxo

Danielle Barbe said...

i live in the middle of nowhere too. i know the feeling... i'm glad you're finding pleasure in all the little things.

lots of love <33

Vivian said...

I won't ever forget the Yo Yo Brigade!! xx

Vivian said...

Danielle, thanks for your lovely comment! xx