Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On my own

It's the first time I live alone for so long. I've always had roommates (and a live-in boyfriend in Korea), which I very much enjoyed. Roommates are fun: cooking dinners together, drinking wine and venting about your day, movie marathons, sharing clothes and beauty products, and impromptu dance parties while folding bed sheets. There is also a not-so-good side: missing food (who ate my cookies?!), sharing chores (can be unequal), and not having much privacy.

I have a love/hate relationship with living on my own. A lot of the time I get really bored and lonely. Fortunately most of my friends live nearby, so I can just hop on my bike to go visit, or have them over for tea or brunch. Since I've been in Japan I've gotten used to living on my own, and appreciate it more and more. Even though it's not always easy (I would love a live-in boyfriend when I see a cockroach or when I have to sort my trash), I made a little list of good things about living alone.


{My little space}

*Sleeping in laaaate
*Staying up all night talking on Skype and watching silly movies
*Eating chocolate in bed... and various other snacks
*Walking around in my underwear (classy)
*Taking ages in the shower
*Making French toast at midnight (I swear it doesn't happen too often)
*Singing and dancing whenever I please
*Having company stay over whenever
*Not having to tidy up if I don't feel like it
*Leaving dirty dishes in the sink
*Going for runs and bike rides late at night
*Decorate however I please

I realize this list makes me sound like I complete slob, which I promise I'm not!

Anything else you can think of?

*In other news, Japan is HOT. Insanely humid and stifling. An otherwise boring muggy day was made more exciting by team killing a cockroach at Isabel's (bastard was hiding), Febreezing my apartment, eating cherries, a ballerina skirt, and going out for lunch to a beautiful traditional Japanese café we found in Marugame.

4 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

I also have a love/hate relationship with living alone. While I can get lonely and bored, it can be soooo nice to just be able to do whatever. You know, you've gotta be able to have that SSB (secret single behavior, thanks SATC!). I have a terrible voice, but love to sing and don't have the nerve to do it around anyone else. I also have a habit of talking to myself, which is totally acceptable when no one else is around :-)
Btw, love the new look of your blog!

Vivian said...

Ah, thanks V! I got 'creative' with the new design templates. I'm so pathetic when it comes to technology!

And YES, living alone is great for SSB! The longer I live on my own, the more SSB I have. BAD!

Natalie said...

Good list! I lived with the same roommate in Toronto for six years and while I miss it, I think what I enjoy most about living alone is the consistency of it - if you leave the place clean/a mess, you will come home to it clean/a mess. You always know what you are getting... and as anti-social as it sounds, sometimes I like coming home to an empty place after a long day of talking/teaching and not have to speak to anyone. Silence can be golden!

Corie said...

Generally I'm pretty neat, which is one of the plus sides for me of living alone--nobody else's mess to worry about. But it's true there are certain slobby habits I like to indulge in when I live alone--like drinking milk straight from the container, or not worrying about shutting the bathroom door when I have a pee, haha. Usually I like coming home and having my own space, except on those Sunday afternoons when I just feel like I'm knocking around my little shoebox going bonkers from the boredom and loneliness. That's when I know it's time to call a friend or go for a walk or to a cafe!