Thursday, July 15, 2010

Breakfast on the train


Those little pre-made peanut butter sandwiches look delicious, but they're not! It's not real peanut butter! Only a sweet, peanut-flavoured cream substance.

A few days ago, Isabel and I were discussing the blogging world, how everything always seems so perfect and fun for other people: scrumptious meals, stylish clothes, exotic trips, lovely dates and wedding cakes. My friend Vanessa also brought up this issue a while ago. It made me think, do I also give out that image of perfect fun and exciting living abroad conditions?

Honestly, this past week I've felt like I've gone crazy. CRAZY. Completely suffocating in this place that is so isolated and rural. Having a hard time breathing properly in this humidity blanket. My usually cozy studio apartment feeling more like a cage. Heavy rainfalls for five consecutive days. Grey and run down little Marugame. Wondering what I'm doing here, and where I'm heading next. Dreading the next few weeks, when all my closest friends here are leaving Japan... for good. Lots of worrying over small and big things.

I've realized that you have to be slightly crazy to throw yourself in this kind of adventure. Overall, the fun times definitely outweigh the bad times, and all those fun little trips and exciting Japanese weirdness make up for the loneliness, isolation, and frustration that come with living in a foreign land. Cheers to all my friends who have lived abroad, who have survived the madness of a place you don't always understand, and don't really belong.

I still feel so fortunate to be here and be experiencing this adventure. And luckily, I'm surrounded by amazing people whom I've developed close friendships with, and fun fun little trips are coming up very, very soon!

13 comments:

hoihoi51 said...

Dont miss Awa dance festiveal in tokushima next month

Vivian said...

I promise I'll go!! I'm very excited about this :)

Thanks!

thevoyageofv said...

Cheer up Viv! It feels like all of my friends are leaving Sweden, as well. In fact I just said goodbye to one last night. It's hard, especially when you're already feeling like a bit of an outsider. But I know there are plenty of fun trips in headed your way soon!

tariq15331 said...

nice article about translation I have found a best site about translations. http://www.translation.pk

tariq15331 said...

http://busycatholic.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-app-for-new-mass-translation.html

tariq15331 said...

nice article about translation I have found a best site about translations. http://www.translation.pk

Corie said...

Wow, I can relate to so much in this post--even the weird sandwiches, haha!

nmaha said...

Thanks for the honesty. Though overal I do think your life sounds like it's exciting and fun. Enjoy those trips for all of us.

宜欣宜欣 said...

Drive carefully. It is not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.............................................................

. A . said...

ii jus recently started readinq yur bloqz. Ahh ii wud love to live Ina foreiqn place jus to try it out Ima wuss tho! Haha but yur lucky experiencinq all that hope yu hav fun everyday be safe(: &' all yu can feel free to read mine too lysialove4.bloggspot.com

A Girl in Asia said...

Hi Vivian - I know what you mean, I too sometimes wonder if I'm being honest enough about what life is really like where I live, preferring to focus more on the positive, glossier side of things (the food, the cafes etc). On the one hand don't want to sound like a whining ungrateful expat, but want to be authentic too. I think your blog does a good job of showing the fun/cool side of life in Japan without painting a falsely over-positive picture either!

kirstyb said...

cant wait to read more x

宥妃宥妃 said...

愛看您的新文章!加油!............................................................