Thursday, June 24, 2010

Yakisoba

You, too can make Yakisoba!!

Yakisoba is a delicious dish of fried noodles, very popular at Japanese festivals. It's very easy to make, and you can make a pretty healthy version of it. Earlier tonight I went over to my friend's house, and she taught me how to make it. Here is a simple version!



Yakisoba

You'll need:

-Soba noodles (made of buckwheat flour)
-Yakisoba sauce (widely available in Japan, and probably easy to find overseas at any Asian market). It's a dark sauce, probably based on soy.
-Vegetables (we picked an assortment of onions, eggplant, cucumber, green peppers, and bean sprouts. anything goes!)
-Slices of beef or chicken, or tofu

You basically stir fry everything on a hot plate, or pan.

We accompanied the meal with delicious roasted barley tea, in Japanese mugicha 麦茶. For dessert we had some fun Milky chocolate squares, and watched Flight of the Conchords to top it all off.



My friend lives in the middle of the countryside, so it's a wonderful bike ride there, and everything is so peaceful. I love those kinds of nights!

6 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

It all sounds delicious!!! I love soba noodles! I love how Japanese things always have smiley people on it!!

thevoyageofv said...

My ex-boyfriend used to live in Japan and he loved yakisoba. Therefor, I hate it. But I really shouldn't take it out on the food, though. It's not fair to the yakisoba. Maybe I'll give it another chance...

Rosemary said...

Yum! These sound delish! And FOTC is such a fun show to watch with friends. :)

Fly Girl said...

Yakisoba is my all-time favorite Japanese dish. My husband is a sushi fanatic but I don't eat it so it's always good to have something I like on the menu. The barely tea also sounds tasty.

Nicole Marie said...

mmm yum!! i bet i could find those ingredients here. want to try!

CML said...

yummy! i can have it EVERYNIGHT. x