Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer style


{MUJI flip flops, some books, and cold tea on the grass. Bliss.}

Those lazy summer days have been filled with long afternoons lounging on the grass at the castle, reading books, drinking cold green tea, and talking with friends. Long bike rides. Mosquito bites. My back a bit sunburned. While Japanese people around me wear gloves, long sleeves and carry black umbrellas, I lie around in the sun, trying to get some golden tones.

Which brings up summer fashion talk. I had forgotten how offensive it is to show bare shoulders here in Japan. Wearing a simple tank top will get you so much (unwanted) attention. Japanese girls usually cover up their arms and shoulders with cardigans, even on hottest days. Yet, the shorter the skirt the better. The fashion seems a bit different in big cities like Tokyo and Osaka, where rules don't seem so stiff about (any kind of) coverage.

I would like to say that I'll wear whatever I want, but I probably won't, because I don't want any extra attention in my small town.
Well... we'll see how long I can last, I might change my mind come August!

6 comments:

Nigel said...

That's weird - you're absolutely right about the short skirts but the lack of shoulders. I also recall seeing a lot of bare midriff back in Canada but not a one in Japan. I had forgotten...

Seems it must be harder for women. For guys the standards for casual clothing aren't so different. Also, the jimbei is my absolute favorite summer outfit.

Kris said...

My favorite is the "Darth Vader" sun visor :)

http://www.goproductionsla.com/blog/images/asian_lady_visor2.jpg

祥傑祥傑 said...

The shortest answer is doing. ............................................................

thevoyageofv said...

Ummm... Cardigan in summer heat? No can do. That's a deal breaker for me. Good luck with that :-)

Vuttikrai Saechue said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in composing this article. I am going for the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has prompted me to start my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
Bags Fashions

French lover said...

Oh wow I had no idea about the bare shoulders thing ! I was looking at my Tokyo photo album and they sure don't mind bare legs, though ;) Girls actually walk around in lingerie stockings :P