Monday, June 21, 2010

Handkerchief Chic

When I first visited Japan two summers ago, in the intense August heat, I noticed how everyone carried little square towels and how every department store and shop sold them as hot items. I was a bit puzzled by the abundance of handkerchiefs, but I now understand the usefulness of them. Japan gets oh-so-hot and humid in the summer, and carrying a handkerchief to dab your face and neck is a MUST.

Most stores and designers make their own. Most of them are towel-like material, while some of them are cotton or silky. You can buy any regular handkerchief, say, from Uniqlo, for under 5$. Designer ones (such as Burberry, Prada, Celine...) go for around 30-50$. Department stores have rows and rows of handkerchief displays, and there are some for every taste.

I have one from Marc Jacobs, and another one from Milkfed (Sofia Coppola's clothing brand). I got both for free, as gifts that came with magazines. I love them! They're also useful to dry your hands after washing them, and for picnics.

Notice the heart theme here? I heart hearts!




Oh, Japan.

8 comments:

Muhammad Kashif said...

This article is really very relavant with the topic it is good work.
http://www.translation.pk

kashif14763@gmail.com

Kristina said...

I wish I would have had one of these during my time in singapore. with an every-day humidity of 95% you certainly need this!! :)
viele grüsse, kristina

Rosemary said...

I love learning about local tid bits like this! The handkerchiefs you picked are darling.

thevoyageofv said...

This is totally something I need to start copying from the Japanese. Sweating is probably my least favorite thing and one of the few things I hate about summer. I just don't know where to find a handkerchief in Sweden... Maybe I can get a friend to sew me one!

Isa said...

Vivian!

Haha I didn't expect you to actually reply to my comment. You are very kind. Your comment on Japanese handkerchiefs is very true. I think that Asian is a very conservative culture. So no matter what, they would rather suffer from the heat than show some "skin". Of course, that excludes legs.

{lovely little things} said...

Still trying to prepare myself for this humidity!

黃佳伸 said...

your artical is so funny!! it make me so happy!! .................................................................

French lover said...

Sigh, I love that Marc by Marc one <3