Monday, June 14, 2010

Fireflies and pizza

I had a fun last couple of days.



Friday night I saw fireflies for the first time in my life. In Japanese they call them hotaru ホタル ( 蛍) and they usually come out for a short time in June. They usually hang out around clear water, so late at night we took a walk into the countryside, and found so many fireflies. I even picked up a few in my hands and watched them glow. They're very friendly bugs! I love the countryside on summer nights. It's so peaceful, and the rice fields smell so fresh. I'm happy I get to experience such things.

Saturday night was my boyfriend's birthday party... fun times! A group of us headed down to Takamatsu for some izakaya foods (all kinds of entrées, such as chicken skewers, noodles, French fries, salads, sashimi), where we ordered a bit of everything to share. It was accompanied (and followed) by some heavy drinking in various establishments, and a hazy taxi ride back home where five of us hopped in a cab to share the expensive tab.

Sunday was a rainy day spent lounging around and nursing a birthday boy who partied a bit too hard! It was really nice and relaxing, and we even cooked a homemade pizza.... in a pan. The lack of ovens in Japan definitely leads to more creativity, and we made everything from scratch. Making dough is quite easy! Here's the recipe, and everything can be found in Japan:



Nippon Pizza (I just made up the name!)

Dough:
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups flour

Sauce:
1 can diced tomatoes
Garlic
Onions
Basil
A bit of olive oil

Toppings:
Slices of ham
Fresh tomatoes
Red peppers
Mushrooms
Cheese
Eggplant

You basically spread the dough in a pan, then add the sauce and toppings, and cook on low heat for 30 min, while keeping it covered.

I made it again tonight for Isabel, and it was quite tasty! I refrigerated half of the dough, so I can just make it whenever.

Mmmmmmm.

8 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

Hold up. You've never seen a firefly? Ugh, I'm so happy you finally did! Aren't they the best?

Isabel said...

thank you so much for the pizza, it was really lovely. I'll attempt to make one of my own this week....if I am brave enough to open the door to my cupboard to get the pan out :-(
xo

暴枝盈 said...

the food is delicious!............................................................

French lover said...

That pizza looks (and sounds) delicious.

Et.... boyfriend... donc ça devient sérieux on dirait ;))
Je suis contente pour toi, hâte d'en savoir plus, plutôt en privé though ^_^ Oh yes I'm nosy like that !!

Bisous !

{lovely little things} said...

Fireflies! So pretty!

{lovely little things} said...

Fireflies! So pretty!

蕭瑋英 said...

Man proposes, God disposes...................................................................

mina said...

i've never seen a firefly either!

pizza in japan was so weird. they had the strangest toppings, like an over-easy egg right in the middle. c'est strange.

(guess what? we're looking at buying a small place in montreal as a base while we continue traveling... your posts on montreal make me excited to go there!)