Saturday, May 8, 2010

Broke in Marugame

My recent excursions to Tokyo and Osaka have left me a little broke for the rest of the month, so I had to come up with creative ways to entertain myself in Marugame. And let's be honest here, my town is very countryside, so it's kind of a challenge for me to come up with fun ideas that do not involve Starbucks or art galleries. Armed with only my lovely bicycle and a few yen in my pocket, I cycled around to find the best of Marugame for a bored (city) girl on a tight budget:


{A delightful spicy ginger tea at my favourite café, where I get to make small talk in Japanese with the friendly owner. For its small size, Marugame has lots of really nice little independent cafés.}

{A delicious bowl of cold udon, perfect for a hot day, and so cheap and filling. My prefecture, Kagawa, is famous for its udon. Yum!}

{Another claim to fame: Marugame is where most paper fans in Japan are made, so I hit the paper fan museum. It's free, it's tiny, but you can make your own fan!}

{Marugame castle. It's a hike, it's gorgeous, and you can have picnics under the trees on a lazy afternoon}

{Marugame has a lovely harbour. I've never lived by the sea, so I'm always amazed when I cycle around it. I love running by the water}


Living in a small town can be challenging, but it can also be very charming. I really appreciate my little getaways, and I also feel like I'm experiencing the 'real' Japan- something I would not get to see if I lived in a bigger city. Also, may I point out that in the short time I've been here, I can speak more Japanese than some of the foreigners I met in Osaka and Tokyo, who have been living there for one or two years? Living in the countryside is great for learning Japanese, and I'm very thankful for that!

5 comments:

thevoyageofv said...

I love this post! Living on a budget can be challenging, especially when you're in a foreign country. But for some reason I really like coming up with a budget and the challenge of sticking to it, while I'm out on the road for a long vacation. But when I'm at home, forget it.

A Girl in Asia said...

All these things look and sound fun! Seems like a charming town!

{lovely little things} said...

I feel ya, I'm kind of worried I'll blow my Japan budget right away! Those udon noodles look yummy. What's are some of your favorite must-try foods in Japan (aside from the regular staples I might find in a guidebook?)

Vivian said...

Michelle, you've inspired me to write a post about my favourite foods in Japan :)
And don't worry about your budget... I promise you, it's possible to stay on budget while traveling in Japan... I could write another post about that.... Tokyo for cheap!

xx

French lover said...

<3 Sweet post.