Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Breakfast talk

Breakfast is my favourite meal. However, it's also the most challenging meal to re-create in Japan. Bread in Japan is pretty awful: they only have some very soft and sweet white sandwich bread, and the cereal selection is VERY limited. I gave up bread completely, and thankfully found a type of granola I really love, which I pair with fruits and yogurt.

Back home I used to make this awful-sounding (but delicious tasting) breakfast smoothie:

Chocolate soy milk, ice, banana, peanut butter, honey, apple juice, oatmeal.

Yes. Living in Japan means giving up some of your favourite foods from home, but I wasn't going to compromise for my smoothie addiction. After seven months living here, I finally purchased a small blender, and found everything I need to re-create my recipe. The chocolate soy milk was a bit difficult, as it only comes in individual portions, and I had to go to the import store to find peanut butter.

But I did it! Seriously, don't knock it until you try it!


4 comments:

mina said...

after walking down the street and finding every restaurant closed, i remember asking the front desk staff at our hotel in shinjuku where we could find some breakfast. they asked us what we wanted and couldn't really help. i said "well, what do you guys eat for breakfast" and they said toast and eggs. i think they just said that because they thought it was what we wanted to hear.

i was obsessed with a very similar smoothie back home... and i desperately miss it. at least you have a blender!

maeghan said...

I would totally try that smoothie! If I ever do, I'll let you know. :)

Des said...

My favorite thing to have for breakfast are pancakes with maple syrup. That is the absolute best.

Rita said...

vivian darling, there is really no good bread? like in korea, some of the bread was weird but there were bakeries that made some killer baguettes, nothing like that? and cereal too?? again, korea comparison, but they had all the cereals. cant believe japan doesnt!?