Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shikoku chic



{I need a haircut but I'm terrified. My hair has never been that long.}

I don't have a full-length mirror so I usually do my outfit checks at the Marugame train station. Sad, sad, I know. What else is sad is the fashion sense in Shikoku. I came to Japan thinking everyone would be sleek and stylish, but the truth is, the countryside remains... the countryside. I have to go to bigger cities to see the good stuff, but it never disappoints. Each city in Japan has a different vibe, and I'm loving all of them. Tokyo is definitely funky, Osaka more grungy (and the girls dress a bit more, um, provocatively there), and Kyoto, Kobe and Hiroshima are quite chic and sophisticated.

As for Shikoku... well. I've seen some horrible things here. Orange hair. Track suits. Hair clips on guys. Faux-gold chains. More track suits. Seriously, I don't know why track suits are so popular here. And mullets! There are definitely some stylish girls in Takamatsu, but even going to Takamatsu is a bit of a treat for me. Oh, countryside!

Hiroshima was a nice treat for my style-deprived self. I'm loving the spring florals and stripes, and love them even more mixed together. I also take such delight in reading Japanese fashion magazines, I'm so fascinated with them and their beautiful models.

As much as I love stylish garments, living in a bland place (fashion wise) kind of makes things easier. There is a bit less temptation to get the latest trends, and honestly, I'm happier spending my money on train tickets and weekend getaways. Even though I tend to go a bit nuts when I go to a big city and finally see some nice shops... oh well.

10 comments:

mina said...

I felt so frumpy the entire time I was in Tokyo. Those girls are always dressed so impeccably well.

We're in Egypt right now. People are so pushy and dirty and loud - the total opposite of Japan.

hoihoi51 said...

Track suits? lol
Is it like this?

Kamikaze girl pt1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iRzB4fCQE

hoihoi51 said...

track suits ..
it is calld yanki fasshion
they are http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yanki

they love track suits...

DiamondsandTulle said...

Love your hair from what I can see and there was a time when I was addicted to ViVi magazine! But Iit's just sad to me that I can only wear those cute outfits once or twice a month and the rest is too inappropriate for work. And mullets? UGH!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Melan said...

in manchester there is a road called the "curry mile" which is pretty self-explanatory!.. once i saw a man in a barbers with a mullet and i thought... why would you ever trust a man with a mullet to cut your hair!?
coming back to london i find it difficult because, like in all big cities, you feel the need to keep up with the ever changing trends... and like you i just want to put my money to weekend trips and travelling because in the end they have the long lasting effects!
your hair is beautiful by the way! trim it but don't cut it!


http://londongirlupnorth.blogspot.com

sarah said...

haha i need a haircut too and i have been terrified for the last three years.

i've never gotten a haircut my entire time here in japan. is that lame or what?? im just so scared of the dreaded japanese mullet

{lovely little things} said...

Orange hair?? Ahh, one of my Chinese students tried to dye her hair blonde and had the same results. Good luck with the haircut, report back! Hope it goes well.

{lovely little things} said...

Hey - also where did you stay in Hiroshima, looks like we'll be adding that to our itinerary, I was so inspired by your posts!!

jwm said...

hey don't diss the tracksuits to much, some of us have to make a living lol

thevoyageofv said...

Track suits? Sounds like the New Jersey of Japan...