Monday, April 5, 2010

Sakura



Sakura さくら, cherry blossoms, have fully bloomed and are here for a very short period of time. In all the parks across Japan family and friends gather for hanami, which literally means 'flower viewing' events. It's pretty much a picnic, and an chance to just relax and catch up with friends under the beautiful trees. It's been so nice to bike around my town, all the trees are pink and people just seem in a lighter mood. Like my Japanese friend described so well, hanami is more than just drinking and flower viewing- it's more about welcoming the spring and feeling more cheerful.

{Nighttime hanami was my favourite, with the lanterns lighting up the trees}

4 comments:

{lovely little things} said...

Beautiful!!
At the University of Washington campus there is a "W" created out of cherry trees that bloom every Spring, that's our local cherry blossom tourist attraction, it's always packed the last few weeks of March and into April with tourists and local photographers alike.

maeghan said...

Gorgeous! Wish I could be there!

French lover said...

I miss those.
Très jolies photos <3

janina.otto said...

your blog makes me so happy.