Thursday, April 22, 2010


I survived my first Japanese haircut!

I was most worried about getting my hair cut here. I only cut it twice in Korea, and both times left me quite disappointed with the results. The styles are a bit different, and so is the hair texture. The language barrier can also be intimidating and confusing, but my mane was getting out of control so I decided to just walk into a hair salon and get it over with. Hair salons abound in Japan, so it's easy to just walk in without an appointment.

The girl who cut my hair was lovely, and I even chatted with her in broken Japanese. I showed her some pictures of my previous haircut and she did a great job, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It had been six months since my last trim, and my hair was quite damaged, so it feels healthy again.

I realize I just wrote a whole entry about a haircut, but honestly, those kinds of small things can become a big challenge when you live abroad!

13 comments:

mina said...

Alex got his hair cut in Antigua by a guy who didn't speak any English. We pointed at some half naked men in a Spanish Cosmo who had nice hair. It was ridiculous - but it worked out! I, on the other hand, have not cut my hair since we've started traveling.

Your new hair looks fab!

k. said...

It looks great!
And I bet that was scary - I'm scared even going to hair salons here ;)

x, K

janina.otto said...

your blog always makes my day :)

Coffee_c said...

Hey sweety! You look amazing with your new haircut!
I miss you, and I hope last week's mood has vanished already. When you're feeling down and depressed, or when you miss home, just imagine yourself trapped in a boring job over here, with no plans of traveling and seeing new things in a near future. This should cheer you up.
I can tell you honey, depression is when you come back!!!
Try to enjoy every second of your adventure like I'm so proud you did so far. You have been amazing in adapting and your whole attitude have changed since Korea. Keep it up babe. Things will get better.
Do you need me to send you Kraft Dinner to cheer you up? Or maybe ELLE Quebec magazines? If sdo, just email me your postal adress..

Miss you my lovely friend. xxx

thevoyageofv said...

I've never managed to get a good haircut here in Sweden. I don't know if the places I'm going to just aren't used to hair that isn't straight and blonde, but it's starting to annoy me. I always go to the same guy whenever I go home... He's my saviour.
Anyway, your new haircut is very kawaii :-)
(Did I use that right?)

Jen said...

These are the things that scare me about living abroad! The little things we take for granted in our home countries that suddenly become a huge task when in another country.

Your hair does look nice; congrats on getting over the hurdle and biting the bullet. It paid off!

lyndsey said...

Love the haircut! I had to get mine done when I lived in Prague a few years ago. I was SO nervous, but it turned out well. Actually, it was probably one of the best haircuts I've ever had. Not bad for communicating in broken Czech!

tn1125 said...

It's the little feats :) remember when i successfully ordered chicken and had it delivered to my house?? lol

Diana Mieczan said...

It looks great! I never been in Japan but my best friend is from Tokyo! I love the pictues from your apartment:)
Happy weekend,
Diana

{lovely little things} said...

Hooray! It's always nice to end up pleasantly surprised when you went in scared! It looks good!

JeremiahRenne332 said...

看到大家都留言-我也忍不住說聲---加油.........................

Iva said...

your hair looks fantastic! :)

Nicole Marie said...

oh my gosh its so cute!!!