Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Karaoke Best

Karaoke has become an important part of my social life here. I like being in a private room, with a small group of friends, and just go a little crazy. Here is my Top 5 Karaoke songs to belt out:

1. "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey (obvious choice)
2. "1979" by The Smashing Pumpkins (surprisingly difficult to sing actually, everyone just ends up out of tune)
3. "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga (just so much fun)
4. "Wonderwall" by Oasis (such a classic, and brings drunk people together)
5. "How Soon is Now" by The Smiths (the mere thought of singing The Smiths at karaoke in Japan is appealing to me).

I recently learned two very popular Japanese songs, which I love!

A punk-rock classic, "Linda Linda" by the Blue Hearts. It's very easy, you just repeat "Rinda Rinda" throughout the chorus:


And a sappy love song by J Pop band GReeeeN, "Ai Uta":


What are your karaoke favourites?

9 comments:

{lovely little things} said...

Great list. Don't Stop Believing is one of my personal faves...how does Lady Gaga sound to karaoke? I bet that would be entertaining!

Des said...

This list is great. I would add "More Than This" by Roxy Music. It's the song that Bill Murray sang in the karaoke scene in Lost in Translation.

k. said...

Seriously, Don't Stop Believing is the go-to karaoke hit! I love it!

My favorite though, of all time, is Roxanne! I so belt that out whether I have a karaoke machine or not ;)

x, K

Creatively Challenged said...

oh my. i missed noraebangggg! I miss it so! Wonderwall is also one of my fave norae hits. And it's not a norae session without "time after time" by cyndi l.

my friends & i would also sing the hottest and most current korean song too. I remembered when gee was out. And...all I can sing to is the "gee, gee, gee" hahah.

Jen said...

First of all, I'm amazed you can read the screen for Japanese karaoke! Kudos to you! And, that "set list" is awesome! Those songs are all perfect. I used to go to karaoke (why do I have such a hard time spelling that word???) every week in college -- such great memories.

verseastyle said...

Man.... I just can't sing not even for karaoke lol.. BUT there is this girl at the locale that does "these boots are made for walking" and KILLS it every time. The crowd goes wild!

aaron thomas smith said...

book em! blue hearts... nothing beats a good crotch grab here and there!

lyndsey said...

Don't You Want Me Baby = AWESOME! You need to have a good team singing it though. It works best in Berlin at 2am, fueled by vodka and orange juice. Ugh.

thevoyageofv said...

Oh, Viv, you and I are twins, indeed! I totally agree with 1,3 and 5. To this list I'd add Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen, Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi and Like a Prayer by Madonna. You've gotta have Madonna. And also maybe Real Love, although singing a Mary J. Blige song just emphasizes how terrible my voice really is...